ISO cinnamon rolls

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

granniero

Cook
I have lost a recipe I had, think it was called "overnight cinnamon rolls". It started w/a cake mix and added flour,yeast,etc. It made 2 large pans of rolls that were refrigerated overnight. I have searched the net and haven't come up w/what I think is close. Does anyone have a recipe like this? Would really like to make these again. Thanks.

My best cinnamon roll recipe:

Ingredients:
1 lb. raw potatoes (aprox 3 med potatoes) Cooked and mashed. ( you can use instant potatoes if you wish)
-Reserve 1/2 cup of liquid from boiling potatoes
-Mix: 1 1/2 C warm milk
1/2 C oil
1/2 C sugar
2 eggs
1 TBS salt

Whisk 2 tbs. of yeast into the cooled pa half cup of the cooled potato water and and let sit until the yeast forms a foam on top. Pour this into the milk mixture, along with the eggs and mashed potatoes.
Add 6.5 cups of AP flour flour to the warm milk mixture. Knead in another cup of flour to form a soft, but elastic dough. Add more flour if required.
Let raise till double then roll into a thin rectangle. Spread generously with softened butter. Sprinkle brown and white sugar and cinnamon to cover. Distribute pecans, or walnuts, and raisins over the sugar. Roll the dough to form a long tube, and slice into 1/4 inch pinwheels. Place onto a parchment lined cookie sheet, with 1-inch high sides. Make a syrup of brown sugar, butter, and vanilla over medium heat. Pour this over the top of the cinnamon rolls to make sticky buns (amazing flavor). Let rise until the buns have doubled. Bake in a 350' F, oven for 45 to 59 minutes. Remove the pan from the oven, slide the parchment paper, with the buns on top, out of the pan and onto a cooling rack. Let cool and serve. Turn off oven.

Enjoy.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Last edited:
Super simple cinnamon rolls. Use Pillsbury pizza dough for the crust. Simple open the tube and unroll the crust onto your work surface. Spread softened butter on top. Sprinkle white and brown sugar evenly over the crust. Add nuts and raisins Jelly-roll it together. Place onto your parchment paper-lined baking pan. Bake at 350'F for 45 minutes. Remove and glaze with a milk-powdered sugar glaze. Cool and serve.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I have lost a recipe I had, think it was called "overnight cinnamon rolls". It started w/a cake mix and added flour,yeast,etc. It made 2 large pans of rolls that were refrigerated overnight. I have searched the net and haven't come up w/what I think is close. Does anyone have a recipe like this? Would really like to make these again. Thanks.

All you have to do is Google "overnight cinnamon rolls cake mix" and a whole bunch of recipes come up using cake mixes and yeast. I didn't include any links since a simple search comes up with so many and you hopefully will be able to tell which one you used as you look thru them.

I make them the old fashion way. Dough, let it rise overnight, roll it out. butter, sugars, etc. My question is once you roll the dough up how do you cut them into individual rolls? Someone once showed my how to cut them using sewing thread. Take a long piece of thread, wrap it around a couple of finger on each had and use a sawing motion.

It works pretty good with a clean cut until it gets down to the very bottom. I thought the problem might be that I was cutting them on the jelly roll pan. That the edges were getting in the way. So I tried it on the back side of the pan. A little better, but not perfect. Using a knife tends to squish the roll.

So I am open to any suggestions as how to keep from squishing the rolls when cutting.

I cut them using unwaxed dental floss or sewing or embroidery thread, whatever's handy. However, I don't use a sawing motion. I slide the middle of the floss/thread under the rolled dough and then bring the ends up and cross them like below then pull floss/thread taut. Sorry that's the best way I can figure out how to diagram.

\/
/\
Ll

There's still a little squish but not as much as sawing because there's a certain amount of cutting action from top and bottom.

I cut them using unwaxed dental floss or sewing or embroidery thread, whatever's handy. However, I don't use a sawing motion. I slide the middle of the floss/thread under the rolled dough and then bring the ends up and cross them like below then pull floss/thread taut. Sorry that's the best way I can figure out how to diagram.

\/
/\
Ll

There's still a little squish but not as much as sawing because there's a certain amount of cutting action from top and bottom.

Aha! I never considered cutting from the bottom up. Brilliant! :angel:

What I wonder about is why margarine AND butter in the recipe? I don't use margarine ever. It is made mostly from chemicals. :angel:

Actually margarine is mostly vegetable oil. Just reduces some of the saturated fat in the recipe. In this case the margarine is used in the dough, so I'd be inclined it leave it in. It's oilier than butter and may be necessary for proper texture - I don't know. The butter is in the cinnamon filling for flavor.

That said, I often use unsalted butter in recipes where margarine is specified if flavor is important, and I might be inclined to try it in this recipe. I haven't actually made these buns before, just posted it because I ran across them the other day.

I'm a bigger fan of caramel pecan sticky buns than I am the frosted ones anyway. This is more my style: Ooey-Gooey Cinnamon Buns

Actually margarine is mostly vegetable oil. Just reduces some of the saturated fat in the recipe.

I'm a bigger fan of caramel pecan sticky buns than I am the frosted ones anyway. This is more my style: Ooey-Gooey Cinnamon Buns

All things found on this planet are made up of chemicals, including lard, butter, flour, milk, meat, green beans, etc. Chemicals are elements and compounds made up of atoms, electrons and subatomic particles. That said, when most people think chemicals, they think either of man-made chemicals, or petrolium based chemicals such as nylon and other plastics, solvents, anti freeze, etc. If you idea of a chemical is a man-made concoction of molecules, and probably the most consumed, is any alcoholic drink. The alcohols and other aromatic flavors are all chemicals made by distillation processes. There is nothing natural about them. Ever see a naturally occurring pond of bourbon in the wild, or maybe a lake of beer, or a creel of vodka.

Yes, there are many chemicals that I don't want in the air I breath, the clothes I wear, or the food and drink I consume. But there are also many chmicals manufactured by plants and animals that are required by my body to make it function properly. So let's not just keep calling everything we think is bad in foods, chemicals. It's inaccurate.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom