"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Yeast Breads, Rolls & Braids

Old 11-14-2006, 08:30 PM   #11
Head Chef

babyhuggies,
That is an interesting question. I have no idea if it would make a difference or not, i've never really tried it. I don't bake too often so usually the only flour I have on hand is all purpose. I hope they work out for you.

Old 11-15-2006, 09:53 PM   #12
Senior Cook

Send a message via MSN to babyhuggies
well, lets just say " I ate them"-well 2. no they were not my best,but I'm sure if i used the right flour or took the time to do a little adjusting they will be fine.Next time I will follow the directions-haha

Old 12-08-2006, 05:15 PM   #13
Cook

Send a message via AIM to Stinker Send a message via Yahoo to Stinker
Smile

Hi babyhuggies, I'm from BC too. I came online to ask about using whole wheat flour, saw your post. I was curious about how they would turn out also. Were they more dense? The original recipe from abjcooking is absolutely delicious and quite easy to make. Anyway, as I said I was coming online to ask about using whole wheat flour, got my answer. Thanks.
Old 12-09-2006, 07:56 AM   #14
Sous Chef

I'm no baker by a long shot, but maybe using just a little of whole wheat flour would work? Just enuf to give them that nice flavor? Must go play with these...
Old 10-09-2007, 09:16 PM   #15
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Barb L.
Quote:
Originally Posted by abjcooking View Post
Double Quick Dinner Rolls

1 package dry yeast
1 cup warm water (105 to 115 degrees)
2 T. sugar
1 t. salt
1 egg
2 T. shortening
2 1/4 cups flour, unbleached

Dissolve yeast in warm water in large mixing bowl (or food processor). Add sugar, salt, egg, shortening and 1 cup of flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in remaining flour; continure stirring until smooth. It will pour and be very gooey and sticky (like cake batter). Scrape batter from sid of bowl; cover.

Let rise in warm place until double, about 30 minutes. Spoon into 8 greased large muffin tins, filling each about 1/2 full. Let rise until batter reaches top of tin, about 20-30 minutes. Bake at 400 for 15 minutes.

Homemade Dinner Rolls
Thank you so much, these rolls were easy, for a non baker. Very good, my ten yr. old old grandson, said -"these are good with butter, but I wish every time I took a bite, butter would pop back up "! Thanks again !
Old 10-09-2007, 10:34 PM   #16
Head Chef

Bard, I completely agree with your grandson, you've got to love butter on hot rolls right out of the oven. I'm glad you enjoyed them
Old 10-09-2007, 10:47 PM   #17
Head Chef

Here is a roll formuls my old Aunt from Norway gave me
Dinner Rolls
Pre heat oven to 375*
1 cup warm water 105- 110*
2 pkg active dried Yeast
1/2cup one stick Butter melted
1/2cup sugar
3 EGGS
1TSP SALT
4-41/2 CUPS all purpose Flour
Combine yeast and warm water in mixing bowl let stand till bubbles form {stand Mixer} stir in butter sugar eggs salt and beat in flour one cup at a time till dough forms a ball and pulls away from the sides. Remove dough from bowl and grease bowl with a very small kernel of fat return dough to bowl and turn to grease top let stand in a warm place till double in bulk. When double turn out on a floured work counter divided dough in to two balls and roll out first ball to a strand [rope] about 2inches in diameter then cut at 2 inch intervals and roll into tight balls and place on greased 13x9 baking pan
When finished with first ball do the same to the seconded cover and let rise till double in bulk and bake at 375* for 15-20 minutes
cut rolls at three inches and you have some of the best hamburger roll’s you’ve ever laid a lip over
Old 10-10-2007, 07:28 AM   #18
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Barb L.
Thanks Dave for the recipe, this my next must try.