ISO: dinner roll recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Debbie

Senior Cook
Good morning everyone!!!
Since its Thanksgiving time here in Canada.. I am looking for a Tried and true, dinner roll recipe.. that I can make today.. put in the refrigerator to rise, and bake up tomorrow.

Does anybody have one they could share?

Thank you !!!!

Double Quick Dinner Rolls

1 package dry yeast
1 cup warm water (105 to 115 degrees)
2 T. sugar
1 t. salt
1 egg
2 T. shortening
2 1/4 cups flour, unbleached

Dissolve yeast in warm water in large mixing bowl (or food processor). Add sugar, salt, egg, shortening and 1 cup of flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in remaining flour; continure stirring until smooth. It will pour and be very gooey and sticky (like cake batter). Scrape batter from sid of bowl; cover.

Let rise in warm place until double, about 30 minutes. Spoon into 8 greased large muffin tins, filling each about 1/2 full. Let rise until batter reaches top of tin, about 20-30 minutes. Bake at 400 for 15 minutes.

Homemade Dinner Rolls

Thank you abj I will have to try this one to!!!.. Jkath I have your recipe in the refrigerator right now :)

abjcooking said:

1 package dry yeast
2 T. sugar
1 t. salt
1 egg
2 T. shortening

Dissolve yeast in warm water in large mixing bowl (or food processor). Add sugar, salt, egg, shortening and 1 cup of flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in remaining flour; continure stirring until smooth. It will pour and be very gooey and sticky (like cake batter). Scrape batter from sid of bowl; cover.

Let rise in warm place until double, about 30 minutes. Spoon into 8 greased large muffin tins, filling each about 1/2 full. Let rise until batter reaches top of tin, about 20-30 minutes. Bake at 400 for 15 minutes.

Homemade Dinner Rolls
Abj,
made your roll recipe for our dinner today. Thank you so much, they are delicious.So quick and easy but just as tasty as a long rise roll.
I know I'll be using this often.
kadesma:)

Kadesma,
I'm glad you liked them. It was a recipe my mother gave to me. It does make life easier not having to wait so long to bake them.

abj, my Mom used to make exactly the same recipe many years ago when it was round-up time on the ranch. Sure kept the ranch hands happy!! Good to see the recipe again, thank you!!

abjcooking,
I made your Double Quick Dinner roll recipe today. They turned out perfect. I don't know to be happy or sad (laughing). They are so quick and easy to make I will probably be the size of a barn now. This is my first attempt at making a yeast roll, so thank you for your recipe. I have alway felt intimidated just thinking about making yeast rolls but this recipe took that all away. I had such fun watching the dough rise and then the actual roll rising in the muffin tin. Sorry for rambling. Thanks again.

Stinker,
No problem. It's always wonderful to get good feedback from your recipes. I am happy that it took away some of the intimidation for you.

hi there abjcooking. I used your dinner roll recipe,but i wasn't really thinking and used whole wheat flour instead of the white...do you think this will make a big difference for them turning out? I guess i will find out soon ---sitting on my stove right now waiting ---hope they rise...the dough was thicker than what i thought it should be but guess that was due to the different flour.I will let you know how things turn out

babyhuggies,
That is an interesting question. I have no idea if it would make a difference or not, i've never really tried it. I don't bake too often so usually the only flour I have on hand is all purpose. I hope they work out for you.

well, lets just say " I ate them"-well 2. no they were not my best,but I'm sure if i used the right flour or took the time to do a little adjusting they will be fine.Next time I will follow the directions-haha

Hi babyhuggies, I'm from BC too. I came online to ask about using whole wheat flour, saw your post. I was curious about how they would turn out also. Were they more dense? The original recipe from abjcooking is absolutely delicious and quite easy to make. Anyway, as I said I was coming online to ask about using whole wheat flour, got my answer.
icon7.gif
Thanks.

I'm no baker by a long shot, but maybe using just a little of whole wheat flour would work? Just enuf to give them that nice flavor? Must go play with these...

1 package dry yeast
2 T. sugar
1 t. salt
1 egg
2 T. shortening

Homemade Dinner Rolls

Thank you so much, these rolls were easy, for a non baker. Very good, my ten yr. old old grandson, said -"these are good with butter, but I wish every time I took a bite, butter would pop back up "! Thanks again !

Bard, I completely agree with your grandson, you've got to love butter on hot rolls right out of the oven. I'm glad you enjoyed them

Here is a roll formuls my old Aunt from Norway gave me
Dinner Rolls
Pre heat oven to 375*
1 cup warm water 105- 110*
2 pkg active dried Yeast
1/2cup one stick Butter melted
1/2cup sugar
3 EGGS
1TSP SALT
4-41/2 CUPS all purpose Flour
Combine yeast and warm water in mixing bowl let stand till bubbles form {stand Mixer} stir in butter sugar eggs salt and beat in flour one cup at a time till dough forms a ball and pulls away from the sides. Remove dough from bowl and grease bowl with a very small kernel of fat return dough to bowl and turn to grease top let stand in a warm place till double in bulk. When double turn out on a floured work counter divided dough in to two balls and roll out first ball to a strand [rope] about 2inches in diameter then cut at 2 inch intervals and roll into tight balls and place on greased 13x9 baking pan
When finished with first ball do the same to the seconded cover and let rise till double in bulk and bake at 375* for 15-20 minutes
cut rolls at three inches and you have some of the best hamburger roll’s you’ve ever laid a lip over

Back
Top Bottom