"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Yeast Breads, Rolls & Braids

Old 10-07-2006, 10:25 AM   #1
Senior Cook

ISO: dinner roll recipe

Good morning everyone!!!
Since its Thanksgiving time here in Canada.. I am looking for a Tried and true, dinner roll recipe.. that I can make today.. put in the refrigerator to rise, and bake up tomorrow.

Does anybody have one they could share?

Thank you !!!!

Old 10-07-2006, 11:19 AM   #2
Hospitality Queen

This is by far my favorite all time bread, and it does exactly what you're looking for. Mom made it when we were growing up, and now I make it pretty often. It always turns out good!

My Mom's Cool Rise Bread TNT

Old 10-07-2006, 01:11 PM   #3
Head Chef

Double Quick Dinner Rolls

1 package dry yeast
1 cup warm water (105 to 115 degrees)
2 T. sugar
1 t. salt
1 egg
2 T. shortening
2 1/4 cups flour, unbleached

Dissolve yeast in warm water in large mixing bowl (or food processor). Add sugar, salt, egg, shortening and 1 cup of flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in remaining flour; continure stirring until smooth. It will pour and be very gooey and sticky (like cake batter). Scrape batter from sid of bowl; cover.

Let rise in warm place until double, about 30 minutes. Spoon into 8 greased large muffin tins, filling each about 1/2 full. Let rise until batter reaches top of tin, about 20-30 minutes. Bake at 400 for 15 minutes.

Homemade Dinner Rolls
Old 10-07-2006, 08:47 PM   #4
Senior Cook

Thank you abj I will have to try this one to!!!.. Jkath I have your recipe in the refrigerator right now :)
Old 10-08-2006, 03:30 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by abjcooking
Double Quick Dinner Rolls

1 package dry yeast
1 cup warm water (105 to 115 degrees)
2 T. sugar
1 t. salt
1 egg
2 T. shortening
2 1/4 cups flour, unbleached

Dissolve yeast in warm water in large mixing bowl (or food processor). Add sugar, salt, egg, shortening and 1 cup of flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in remaining flour; continure stirring until smooth. It will pour and be very gooey and sticky (like cake batter). Scrape batter from sid of bowl; cover.

Let rise in warm place until double, about 30 minutes. Spoon into 8 greased large muffin tins, filling each about 1/2 full. Let rise until batter reaches top of tin, about 20-30 minutes. Bake at 400 for 15 minutes.

Homemade Dinner Rolls
Abj,
made your roll recipe for our dinner today. Thank you so much, they are delicious.So quick and easy but just as tasty as a long rise roll.
I know I'll be using this often.
kadesma
Old 10-08-2006, 05:48 PM   #6
Head Chef

Kadesma,
I'm glad you liked them. It was a recipe my mother gave to me. It does make life easier not having to wait so long to bake them.
Old 10-08-2006, 06:38 PM   #7
Head Chef

abj, my Mom used to make exactly the same recipe many years ago when it was round-up time on the ranch. Sure kept the ranch hands happy!! Good to see the recipe again, thank you!!
Old 11-10-2006, 07:43 PM   #8
Cook

Send a message via AIM to Stinker Send a message via Yahoo to Stinker
abjcooking,
I made your Double Quick Dinner roll recipe today. They turned out perfect. I don't know to be happy or sad (laughing). They are so quick and easy to make I will probably be the size of a barn now. This is my first attempt at making a yeast roll, so thank you for your recipe. I have alway felt intimidated just thinking about making yeast rolls but this recipe took that all away. I had such fun watching the dough rise and then the actual roll rising in the muffin tin. Sorry for rambling. Thanks again.
Old 11-11-2006, 03:00 PM   #9
Head Chef

Stinker,
No problem. It's always wonderful to get good feedback from your recipes. I am happy that it took away some of the intimidation for you.
Old 11-14-2006, 07:07 PM   #10
Senior Cook

Send a message via MSN to babyhuggies
hi there abjcooking. I used your dinner roll recipe,but i wasn't really thinking and used whole wheat flour instead of the white...do you think this will make a big difference for them turning out? I guess i will find out soon ---sitting on my stove right now waiting ---hope they rise...the dough was thicker than what i thought it should be but guess that was due to the different flour.I will let you know how things turn out