ISO Easy Brown Bread Recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

csalt

Sous Chef
I'm not very good at making my own bread.
The supermarket bread we buy, wholemeal, medium sliced, has to be kept in the fridge ( it's mainly used for toast) as I find it goes off really quickly>
Recommend me an easy, foolproof, bwon bread recipe and I'll have a go!:)

The NY Times Bread Recipe posted in the bread section is very popular.

NY Times bread recipe--what FUN (
multipage.gif
1 2 3 ... Last Page)

:) I dont think it's the recipe it's the humidity of England where I live our humidty is about 14 to 20 percent on a regular day so nothing here gets soggy or moldy,I can leave cookies,crackers etc unwrapped and they never get soft in fact thet get harder from the dry air here.So I would say keep things in fridge or freezer to keep them fresh.Thats what they do in Texas as it is quite humid there.

Last edited:
csalt -- I too am in search of a good
brown bread recipe. I was just in Ireland
and really enjoyed the brown bread. I've
seen some recipes with wheat germ and
some with oatmeal. If you come across
one, please share.....thanks

I've made New England brown bread once. With molasses and raisins, it's a sweet, moist bread that's poured into large tin cans which are placed in a water bath and steamed. Delicious, but frankly, store-bought canned brown bread is just as wonderful without the work.

How about this Irish one, guys?

Irish Brown Bread Recipe at Epicurious.com

Lee

It is hard to make a 100% whole wheat loaf that doesn't come out like a concrete brick. My trick is to add Vital Wheat Gluten to the dough. Add 1 tbsp per cup of flour you are using. When combined with water, gluten becomes highly elastic. When you put in in bread it helps retain the gas and steam from baking and gives more volume to the bread.

Back
Top Bottom