"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Yeast Breads, Rolls & Braids
Old 09-26-2013, 06:56 AM   #1
Assistant Cook
ISO help avoiding cinnamon roll shrinkage

I own a small coffee shop and bakery. I'm in search of the perfect cinnamon roll. I have a pretty awesome recipe and make several thousand a year, but they always shrink after baking. Is there a way to keep them "puffed up" as they cool. I currently use a recipe with potato as an ingredient. I use AP flour, whole egg, and about 50/50 scalded milk and warm water. Would it help to use whole yolk, less water, and perhaps bread flour? I've included pictures at various stages. My customers like the product, but I want it to present better. Any comments are welcome. Thanks

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cinnamon rolled.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	18685   Click image for larger version

Name:	cinnamon out of oven.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	18686  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Cinnamon frosted.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	18687  

shipcord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 10:57 AM   #2
Executive Chef
Site Moderator
Welcome to D.C.!
Not being a very experienced baker, I would direct you to Sara Moulton's website for starters.
There will be someone along later who might have better advice....

"Paging bakechef......Paging bakechef to the front desk, please!"

I used to be a racist, but I don't have much interest in it since Dale Earnhardt got killed.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.
Good judgement comes from experience; experience comes from bad judgement.
Hoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 12:11 AM   #3
Proud American
I think perhaps the bread flour? My DA has recipes for the rolls such as these in which she uses the bread flour.

I am not the expert of this. But I have followed of her recipes of rolls such as these and they have not been shrunken. They are rather fat and light.

Your friend,

PS. There is a reason for the "Proud American" title underneath my name. No one should insult the name "Cook" with "CatPat!" I am learning of all this.
CatPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 04:36 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire
I understand the need for the paper cups. But I always place mine on a cookie sheet or jelly roll pan. No paper cups needed. I leave about 1/8 " between them giving them plenty of room to rise out as well as up. . Since you are in a bakery, you could use tongs to remove them from the case for the customer.

BTW, they look delicious! And welcome to DC
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 04:48 AM   #5
Assistant Cook
Thanks for your thoughts. I'll give the bread flour a try. I had thought that the extra gluten would make them tough, but never considered the structure factor. I'll keep experimenting.
shipcord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 06:02 AM   #6
Executive Chef
Site Moderator
Yes, do try bread flour, it shouldn't make them tougher, but maybe give them some added structure.

Maybe bake them slightly longer, and try not to over proof. If they are more air than dough, there really isn't going to be much to help them stand tall.

I'd definitely experiment but not present them to customers until you get it right, since your product is a hit already you wouldn't want to mess them up.

They do look pretty great already!

I'm Bloggin'

bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote

cinnamon, sweet bread