ISO Help Using Whole Grains in Baking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mirandgl

Cook
This thread could possibly qualify for several forum sections because it deals with baking, healthy/nutrition and cookbooks so help/move if it can fly better in another forum.

My wife and I have decided to add more whole grain to our diet. I have been experimenting with some bread recipes by substituting some whole wheat flour at about 1/3 the total. I found I needed to slightly increase the yeast and my results have been very good.

I purchase some specialty flours and malt for pizza dough from King Arthur and we always get their catalog. My wife spotted their whole grain cook book and we ordered it. She attempted something from the cookbook this weekend and I’m not too sure what happened but it was a very heavy blob in the bowl that was supposed to rise but obviously didn’t.

Have any members here used any recipes from the King Arthur cook book I mentioned? How were your results?

My wife said she followed the recipe to exact specifications and I have been married long enough to know I am not about to argue this point. Has anyone ever encountered any cook book recipe that just didn’t work?

In my experience, recipes that don't work don't get published in cookbooks. I'm not an experienced baker yet, but I do know that when baking it's best to measure ingredients by weight, when possible. Also, a simple thing like kneading your bread too much or too little can have huge effects on your final product. I would just try it again, and hope it works out better.

I use the whole grains but my ratio is 1/4. I usually have good results. Maybe the yeast just didn't work for any number of reasons. I have not made anything from King Arthur, but there is a wonderful wheat bread recipe in the new Joy of Cooking.

also, check the expiration on the yeast packet... perhaps it was expired! But also good advice to call King Arthur and check the recipe for possible mistakes. Good-Luck!

Ive recently started baking with whole wheat flour and oat bran. Found some good reading here Farmer Direct Foods - Bread Recipes

Also they had this recipe for Whole Wheat Bread, just maybe for comparison about the recipe you are using...

Whole Wheat Bread

2 packages active dry yeast
1 cup water, warm, 105°F-115°F
1 cup milk, warm, 105°F-115°F
1/3 cup honey
6 ½ cups Natural s’ Wheat Whole White Wheat Flour
2 eggs
¼ cup shortening
2 tablespoons salt
Dissolve yeast in warm water in large mixing bowl. Add milk and honey. Beat in 3 cups of the flour and eggs. Beat 100 strokes or 2-3 minutes on medium mixer speed. Cover bowl and allow sponge to rest 20-30 minutes.
Mix in salt and flour, ½ cup at a time, until dough can be turned out on lightly floured surface to knead. If using a dough hook, add shortening and complete by kneading on dough hook 8 minutes. If kneading by hand, knead 10-15 minutes, gradually kneading in shortening.
Let dough rise in greased and covered bowl until double. Punch dough and divide in half. Let dough rest while greasing two 8 1/2 x 4 1/2 inch bread pans. Shape, place in pans and let rise until double. Bake at 375°F for 20 minutes. Makes two loaves.

I have all three of K.A.'s cookbooks and I would also encourage you to call them or check out their website. They are very helpful. I have discovered that when a recipe doesn't quite come out the way it is supposed to, its usually something I've done in error, even when I think I have followed it to the tee. For a long time, I was working under the assumption my oven was baking at the temperature it was set at--however, after finally putting in an oven thermometer, I discovered many difficulties and failures were b/c it was baking at about 10 degrees lower than it was stating it was heated at.

In any even, whole grains can be a little tricky, but do call KA, or email them. I use their cookbooks more than any of the others I have on my shelf for baking. Have fun!

If you are unsure of your yeasts ability to rise the flour/bread, then I say proof it first. I do not have to do this any longer, for I use my yeast so regularly that I know it is fresh. Then again that may not be your problem.

Use the phone, most places I have ever called when concerning their product are very helpful and informative.

Thank you for the responses. The yeast is good so I think the problem could be that the windows were open and there was a strong breeze in the kitchen where DW placed the covered bowl.

Back
Top Bottom