Japanese Milk Bread, perfected

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JustJoel

Executive Chef
Perhaps you’ve never had a chance to try Japanese milk bread. It’s delicious. Oh so pillowy, perfect thickly sliced and spread with sweet butter and preserves, or cinnamon sugar.

Most recipes for Japanese milk breads begin with a tangzhan, a kind of a roux made with a small amount of the total flour, to 5 parts water (or whTever you’re using for hydration. This recipe calls for a bit of flour and ALL the hydration! I couldn’t explain the chemistry, but not only is the crumb so soft you wanna squeeze it like a roll of Charmin, it seems to stay that way for several days.

Here’s a link to the recipe
https://food52.com/recipes/39343-kindred-s-milk-bread (That looks like a very weird link, let me know if it doesn’t work. I’ll try it out too, of course.)

Here are a couple of pics of the loaf I made
[/ATTACH]

Attachments

• 38C58F3A-77B7-448B-BDEB-01B05A50C854.jpg
    38C58F3A-77B7-448B-BDEB-01B05A50C854.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 192
hiya, roadfix! I'm partial to the caped crusader of that era, An-Pan-Man! (a fluffy bread filled with sweet bean paste)
Can’t stand it. It’s cloying and gritty! I bought an ice cream bar once, thinking it was chocolate. Imagine my surprise! But I was clueless about lots of things. I almost bought a pint of miso once, thinking it was peanut butter!

I also don't like sweet mashed red bean paste. Gritty. Too sweet. Even chilled with mochi rice balls doesn't help me. I also don't like them "barbequed." Beans should be savory and spiced.

I do love Japanese pan.

Back
Top Bottom