Jewish Rye Bread-Yum

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was raised in a totally Jewish neighborhood all of the merchants were Jewish and the baker was a Russian Jew and he made the best rye and Punpernickle bread I have ever ate any where and he took the formula to his grave. I am a chef with some bakery experience and I have tried for 40 years to come close to Mr Greenblatz's Rye Bread can't come even close. He must have brought his sour from the old country may he rest in peace

When eating a perfect rye bread Reuben the cardinal rule is:

Never eat anything larger than your head.

Like you get at the 2nd Street Avenue Deli in NYC.

i've never understood why they put a full pound of meat between 2 slices of bread, animatic. not that i'm complaining, though. :pig:

you remove a half pound to take home, and eat the rest as a giant sandwich.

dave, is greenblatz's anywhere near schnitzer's? :cool: best rye anywhere, worth mugging an old lady for.

on the matter of rye, has anyone ever noticed a faint smell from the bread that resembles a #2 pencil, or is it just me?

Bucky and Dave,
between the two of you I'm drooling..I love rye and pumpernickle. I envy you both having had wonderful bread, around here if you ask for either one in most bakeries, you're looked at as if you have two heads..You just then get a blank stare and a NOPE when you ask for anything in dark bread. I suppose I'm going to have to try my hand at rye and pumpernickle again.
sigh, !
kadesma:cry:

Kadema, if you will "google" jewish corn rye, I think you will find the recipe I use. And I use it with the no knead technique in my dutch oven. Despite the name, the only corn in it is the cornmeal that I dust the proofing basket with.
If you can't find it, let me know and I will give you the url after I get home from work. There is also an 'authentic Jewish Rye" recipe, but I have not tried it.
This is a dense bread, great smeared with lots of butter and topped with Swiss cheese and fresh tomatoes!!!!!

Bob

Kadema, if you will "google" jewish corn rye, I think you will find the recipe I use. And I use it with the no knead technique in my dutch oven. Despite the name, the only corn in it is the cornmeal that I dust the proofing basket with.
If you can't find it, let me know and I will give you the url after I get home from work. There is also an 'authentic Jewish Rye" recipe, but I have not tried it.
This is a dense bread, great smeared with lots of butter and topped with Swiss cheese and fresh tomatoes!!!!!

Bob
Thanks Bob,
I'll check it out now..
kadesma:)

I had a chopped liver on rye for lunch today!! We have a great little deli in Cleveland called Jack's that makes great chopped liver. Also, make sure you try some marble rye, which is rye bread with pumpernickle swirled in as well. Sublime!!!!

Maybe Jewish "Corn" Bread is named that because
it is for using with corned beef.
Or 'Rye' is Jewish corn...
I don't remember seeing pictures of kibutz with corn stalks ever.

Sadly I don't currently live in NYC near all that good bread.
And madly huge sandwiches.
I lived below 'the village' for 5 years in the 90's and enjoyed it.
Down near Bouley's Bakery; a deadly serious baker.

But on a trip to a Paris convention I met my future ex wife.
I spent 5 years in Paris with one great Deli near Ave, Ternes,
but that was it. Still the 2nd best baguette in Paris and an
AWESOME 13 grain loaf were right near the apartment.
Some compensation.

Then 5 years near Nimes in the south in a small village with the
WORST bakers in France, bar none... But some fine breads near by.
And a wonderful levaine sourdough at the markets bakery.

I did do a LOT of cooking in France,
I was much better than my french wife,
and would cook for most family gatherings
at the grandmother generations requests.
I didn't do a lot of baking there, mostly quiche and pies
but did get a Riviera et Bar bread maker.

Now I am on Koh Samui Thailand 500km in the Bay of Siam.
I cook very decent thai and asian style.
There is an island bakery with a pretty decent dark rye.
But I am trying to make my own yeast free minimalist bread
for health reasons, so pulled out the machine a pain.

See new my thread; Minimalist bread.
I am searching old pre-yeast recepies
I can not post the URL until I post more it seems....

I have some buckwheat and rye in round 2 of a sourdough starter now.

Did a buckwheat, black current bread last night, a bit flat,
but passable.
Looking for more fluff in my loaf!
icon12.gif

:)I also love good rye bread tried to make some yesterday from cooks illustrated almost no knead rye bread recipe did not like it at all.

google "jewish corn rye". I bake this about twice a month. It takes 3 days, though. One to make the starter, one to rise the dough and one to bake. Tastes great with butter and Swiss Cheese.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom