King Cake - easy!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Janet H

Certifiable Executive Chef
Staff member
Well - a day late but still worth sharing. King cake is traditionally served at Mardi Gras and here's an easy and delicious version using Rhodes brand frozen cinnamon rolls. You'll need a whole package of a dozen.

Spray a bundt pan with non-stick spray and place frozen slices on edge all around. I split a few of them in half (edge-wise) to fill in between slices. You can see the thick ones and the thin, halved ones here.

DSC_0212.JPG

Cover and let rise for several hours.

DSC_0214.JPG

Bake in a preheated 375 degree oven for about 30 minutes until cooked

DSC_0215.JPG

Invert onto parchment or plate

DSC_0216.JPG

Cover top of cake with icing that's included with the rolls and let it drip down the sides.

DSC_0217.JPG

Sprinkle with green, gold/yellow and purple sugar. ( I was out of yellow and so used some gold dragees)

DSC_0218.JPG

You can read more about the traditions and variations of this cake here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_cake

The colored sugars can be hard to come by unless you are NOLA but they represent the royal colors of PURPLE which signifies "Justice," GREEN for "Faith," and GOLD for "Power." These colors were chosen to resemble a jeweled crown honoring the Wise Men who visited on Epiphany.

Last edited:
No baby in my version... it just seems wrong to put a choking hazard in food, not to mention the idea of cooking a baby. No Hansel and Gretel moments for me, thanks... ;)

I did shoot an e-mail off to the rhodes folks about this thread (but didn't get a response) - they have a recipe for King Cake on their site that used their plain bread dough and is a hassle, imo. You have to roll it out, add sugar and cinnamon. I'm not sure why they don;t recommend a king Cake using a product that already has the perfect ingredient list.

Last edited:
No baby in my version... it just seems wrong to put a choking hazard in food, not to mention the idea of cooking a baby. No Hansel and Gretel moments for me, thanks... ;)

I did shoot an e-mail off to the rhodes folks about this thread (but didn't get a response) - they have a recipe for King Cake on their site that used their plain bread dough and is a hassle, imo. You have to roll it out, add sugar and cinnamon. I'm not sure why they don;t recommend a king Cake using a product that already has the perfect ingredient list.

Some baker there does not like the idea of being bested at their own game. I think yours is very beautiful. And with just half the work or time. :angel:

I am bumping this post because Mardi Gras is upon us. Time to make king cake - this one is as good as any I've had....

See post 1 for the details and pics.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom