"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Yeast Breads, Rolls & Braids
View Poll Results: How do you knead your breads
Mixer 1 20.00%
Food possessor 0 0%
By hand 4 80.00%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-17-2010, 03:33 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Kneading dough by machine

I'm new to the site. I have kneaded my whole wheat with honey sandwich bread by hand for the last 6 months. I live alone, no family, no entertaining etc. I make two loafs a week and its alright. But I am wondering if I would get a better loaf if I did it in a food possessor or a mixer to knead them with which I am thinking about buying one for that purpose. I would like a variety of points of view on if I would get better texture, rise etc with a machine. If you got an opinion and have done all three ways on which one please tell me why you like doing kneading with a possessor, mixer or by hand. Is one style better for one application or bread type over another? How many people do it by hand now of days? I wonder by not seeing it done on TV that doing it by hand is out of date these days. I could not find anything on the Internet on this subject.

Thanks in advance
“Nash”

Old 11-17-2010, 06:20 AM   #2
Executive Chef

Welcome to DC, Nash.
We knead by hand because we have a small kitchen with little room to spare for another machine. We often make and freeze batches of bread that are too big for most non-commercial machines.

Old 11-17-2010, 07:31 AM   #3
Executive Chef

I've kneaded with a large Hobart for years. And by hand at home. Kneading by machine would be a lot easier. It will also cut down on your kneading time. Be careful that you don't over knead. It is easy to do.
Old 11-17-2010, 08:46 AM   #4
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I knead all bread by hand, even though I have a lovely mixer with a dough hook...I just like playing with my food.
Old 11-17-2010, 10:03 AM   #5
Master Chef

Site Administrator

I don't think the stand mixer makes better bread, it does make it a lot easier. I will say it also helps with consistency. (Some people might not think that is a bonus).

If you enjoy kneading by hand then there is no reason to change. If you would like to make it easier then the stand mixer works a treat. I have not tried the FP for bread dough.
Old 11-17-2010, 10:24 AM   #6
Executive Chef

For those of us with arthritic hands, the stand mixer with dough hook is a real blessing!
Old 11-17-2010, 10:57 AM   #7
Certified Pretend Chef

I make bagels using a KA mixer. I make pie crust dough using a FP. I make pasta (poorly) kneading by hand.
Old 11-17-2010, 12:03 PM   #8
Head Chef

I knead all my bread in my bread machine. Haven't used it to bake bread in years, but it does a good job on the dough cycle
Often I mix a loaf at night and start the machine. In the morning you have dough, form a loaf and bake.
Old 11-17-2010, 12:09 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
I've had a bread machine for over 10 years and have yet to use it to actually "make" bread in it. I use exclusively to knead my dough. Mainly because I have arthritis in my hands and kneading is a killer. Also, it frees me up to do other things as the dough is being kneaded.

Out of curiosity I spoke with some of the resident bakers at King Arthur Flour and they told me that they felt a bread machine did a far better job of kneading than any other kitchen machine. I can't dispute that.

I used to enjoy kneading yeast dough, but good old "Arthur" has put the lid on that. I'm just happy I have my trusty bread machine to do the work for me now.
Old 12-18-2010, 06:00 AM   #10
Assistant Cook

Well it definitely comes out more even for one thing. It's quicker. But then again you'll be missing out on the exercise. LOL

Tags
None