Leftover buns

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ch1719

Assistant Cook
I have about 30-40 leftover hamburger and hotdog buns leftover from BBQs over the weekend. Any use for them? Just make them into breadcrumbs and freeze them?

I have about 30-40 leftover hamburger and hotdog buns leftover from BBQs over the weekend. Any use for them? Just make them into breadcrumbs and freeze them?

I'd freeze some whole for later use and make some into crumbs.

I freeze burger and hot dog buns all the time. I defrost them in the microwave wrapped in a damp paper towel. Takes about 20-30 seconds and they are soft and ready to go.

Spread them with garlic butter top with cheese and give them a quick broil or bake, for garlic cheese bread.

I freeze mine as is or fill them with garlic butter and cheese and freeze wrapped in foil and then plastic wrap. When we go to a bbq I grab a pack and remove plastic and stick them on the grill for a quick side dish.

Depending on quality, if they are good, they will less in the freezer for good 3-4 month, practically not losing flavors and taste. But they also make good breadcrumbs, light and airy. Just don't over dry them.

They also make great French bread style pizzas, add sauce and toppings, place under broiler to melt cheese (use pre cooked toppings for best results)

You could make bread pudding, or a strata:

Bread Pudding with Fresh Berries

Ingredients:

16 slices of bread
6 Tbs unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
5 large eggs
¾ cup granulated sugar
3 cups milk
1 cup heavy cream
1 Tbs vanilla extract
pinch of salt
¼ tsp nutmeg
Fresh berries
Blackberry Syrup

Instructions:

Set a rack in the top third of the oven. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease a 9×13-inch glass or ceramic baking dish.

Tear the bread into bite-sized pieces, add them to the baking dish and drizzle them with melted butter. In a large bowl, whisk the eggs with the granulated sugar, milk, cream, vanilla extract, salt and nutmeg.

Pour the milk mixture over the bread, pressing gently to be sure all the bread is moistened well.

Bake in the upper third of the oven for about 45 minutes, or until the top is lightly browned and the custard is set. Transfer the baking dish to a rack and let rest for 15 minutes.

While the bread pudding is baking, macerate the berries in the syrup. Serve the pudding in individual bowls topped with the macerated berries and a drizzle of their liquid.

Italian Sausage, Cheese, Mushroom, and Tomato Strata

Ingredients:

2 cups bread, cubed
¼ cup Pecorino Romano cheese, grated
6 large eggs
12oz milk
½ tsp dry mustard
½ tsp salt
1 cup shredded Italian four cheese blend
¼ lb bulk Italian sausage
½ cup sliced mushrooms
1 medium tomato, seeded and chopped

Instructions:

Coat a baking dish with cooking spray. Put the bread cubes in the dish and sprinkle them with the Pecorino Romano cheese. In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, mustard, and salt. Pour the egg mixture over the bread cubes and allow them to soak up the egg mixture, covered, in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours, or overnight.

Heat the oven to 350°F.

In a non-stick frying pan, sauté the Italian sausage until cooked through. Add the mushrooms and continue to sauté until the mushrooms are tender. Add the chopped tomato and heat through. Add the sausage mixture to the baking dish and fold it in gently. Spread the shredded cheese evenly over the top of the mixture.

Bake the strata, uncovered, in a 350°F oven for 60 minutes, until the mixture has puffed up slightly and is golden brown on top, and it doesn't shimmy when you shake the pan. Tent the dish with foil if the top is browning too quickly.

Allow the strata to cool for 5 minutes before serving. Serve by the large serving spoonful.

Back
Top Bottom