Making bagels for the first time.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JustJoel

Executive Chef
I’m making bagels for the first time, and I’m a bit apprehensive! The recipe I plan to use: sallysbakingaddiction.com/homemade-bagels/

I chose this recipe because it is relatively simple. But some confusing info has me doubting. The recipe says the dough is heavy enough that it might stress out my KA, so it should be hand kneaded. But the hydration is, like, 74%! 1. That seems awfully wet, and 2. how could it be so heavy with such high hydration? Is this something y’all are on board with? (Mark got the KA for my birthday a few years ago; it was top-of-the-line at the time. It even says in the manual that I should adjust kneading time down because the motor is so powerful.)

I’m gonna make the dough tonight, and give it a slow fridge rise overnight. I’ll have fresh, warm bagels in the morning with cream cheese and poached salmon!

First of all, your mixer should have no issue with mixing this much dough. I have a 350 watt motor in my KA and it handles 735gr bread flour with 465gr water.

Your dough is a lot wetter than mine and you may have an issue with it's being too wet. Also, you shouldn't need an egg wash after boiling in water with honey (I use sugar) as that adds a shine to the finished bagel.

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_347c.jpg
    fullsizeoutput_347c.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 201
First of all, your mixer should have no issue with mixing this much dough. I have a 350 watt motor in my KA and it handles 735gr bread flour with 465gr water.

Your dough is a lot wetter than mine and you may have an issue with it's being too wet. Also, you shouldn't need an egg wash after boiling in water with honey (I use sugar) as that adds a shine to the finished bagel.
Would you suggest decreasing the water, or increasing the flour?

Actually, you'd probably be better off using a different recipe rather than trying to "fix" a suspect recipe.

Check out bagel recipes on the King Arthur site or you can use mine if you like. You can leave out the onion products if you don't want onion bagels.

Actually, you'd probably be better off using a different recipe rather than trying to "fix" a suspect recipe.

Check out bagel recipes on the King Arthur site or you can use mine if you like. You can leave out the onion products if you don't want onion bagels.
I looked at bagel recipes on the King Arthur site; they’ve got like six different recipes for bagels; each recipe has a different hydration (if I did the math right). Maybe I’m obsessing too much?

I tend to gravitate to recipes from trusted websites. I figured there a fewer chances for error that way.
That said, I don’t even remember where I got my bagel recipe from. One of the things I do were looking for a new recipe is to download 4 to 6 versions and compare them. There should be some consistencies in ingredients and quantities.

I've only made Jalapeno Bagels (Bread Machine Version) they were pretty tasty.
I want to try Andy's onion bagels.

I only have 2 pictures. Next time I will snap a few more.

After shaping and rise

jalapeno_bagels_P1090917.JPG

After baking

091214_homemade_jalapeno_bagels_P1090906.JPG

I’m getting more and more confused! 63% hydration? 70% hydration? 75% hydration? Every recipe I look at has a different hydration percent! I’m gonna make some tonight, but I’d sure like some advice; solid advice!

Here's a Weight Watcher recipe I use: 1 cup of self rising flour and 1 cup of Fat Free Greek Yogurt. Mix together and pinch of a piece and roll into a rope on a lightly floured board. I use a bagel / donut pan but you don't need to. Put on cookie sheet, brush with melted butter and sprinkle with Everything Spice and bake 350 for about 20 minutes.

Clearly, I need to practice my shaping skills. I haven’t tasted ‘em yet, but they smell great! You’d probably rather go to Andy’s for breakfast though! ;)

I will keep on persevering!

C8350AEC-4A69-4853-A1DB-DF2AA4D368F5.jpg

Andy’s recipe is the best. I’ve been using successfully many many times. Everybody loves them. Even people who are used to NY bagels telling me how good this recipe is. Joel, I suggest you ask Andy for his recipe.

Oh. There it is. I did not realize Andy posted already. If you don’t want onion just skip the onion part. Works as well.

Made some the other day...onion bagels...
39817-albums888-picture7837.jpg
[/IMG]

Back
Top Bottom