Naan bread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mike1958

Assistant Cook
Just made garlic naan bread and as usual it was perfectly acceptable for eating but not really like a naan should be. Mine is like bread in the centre and generally quite crusty. I think it should be much softer and elastic.

My recipe today was plain flour, yogurt, dried yeast, sugar, black onion seeds, chopped garlic in oil.

Started the yeast in warm water and sugar

Added to flour with extra warm water and tablespoon of yogurt, added black onion seeds. Knead well. Dough was on sticky side. Leave couple of hours to rise. Shape and roll garlic into top.

Place 2 heavy cast iron baking trays into oven at 500 degrees and bake naans for 10 mins or so.

Except for not cooking in a tandoor what am I doing wrong.

Mike

Last edited:
Do you mean Naan? If so ask a Mod to correct the title.

I’ve only made naan once. I used this recipe, from Food Network’s Aarti Sequeira. They came out very nice, but I’ve never made them again because making them smoked up my house too badly. If I’m going to make an Indian bread for my curry, as opposed to buying it, I prefer to make chapatis. There’s no yeast, and the pan doesn’t have to be quite as hot.

Just made garlic naan bread and as usual it was perfectly acceptable for eating but not really like a naan should be. Mine is like bread in the centre and generally quite crusty. I think it should be much softer and elastic.

My recipe today was plain flour, yogurt, dried yeast, sugar, black onion seeds, chopped garlic in oil.

Started the yeast in warm water and sugar

Added to flour with extra warm water and tablespoon of yogurt, added black onion seeds. Knead well. Dough was on sticky side. Leave couple of hours to rise. Shape and roll garlic into top.

Place 2 heavy cast iron baking trays into oven at 500 degrees and bake naans for 10 mins or so.

Except for not cooking in a tandoor what am I doing wrong.

Mike
I don't make my own naan bread (I have an arrangement with the chef at the local Bangladeshi restaurant. I make fudge for him and his family and he gives me naans in return. What goes round, comes round!) However, if you look on the internet there are several recipes for yeast-free naan, mostly using baking powder as the raising agent. Jamie Oliver was on television yesterday and demo'd naan bread. I think he used baking powder too. His naans were slightly crisp on the outside but soft inside and hollow in the middle. He pressed them out fairly thinly before cooking.

Last edited:
I have had luck with making naan. But what I would love to find is a recipe with no eggs or yogurt. And the recipe is by weight and not volume.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom