"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Yeast Breads, Rolls & Braids

Old 01-29-2012, 04:31 PM   #1
Head Chef

Need advice on rolling out dough

This afternoon, I decided to try to make spinach pies like I used to have when visiting my Lebanese friend's mother. I did well with the filling...But... the dough.

I used purchased pizza dough and it rose quite a bit in the refrigerator (I've had it for 3 days) so I punched it down and let it rest for about an hour.

I had a terrible time rolling it out and but managed to make some triangles and put them into the oven to bake. The dough rose again and there is just too much bread for the filling I put inside.

Can you help me re rolling the stuff out and also how I can get it to be not so much bread?

Appreciate any help.

Old 01-29-2012, 04:43 PM   #2
Head Chef

My guess would be that you need to roll out the dough and then dock it with a fork and bake it shortly after that. Please note that I am only guessing here.

Old 01-29-2012, 04:50 PM   #3
Sous Chef

Spinach pies are usually made with phyllo, not pizza dough. Are you sure that's what your friend used?

MsMoffet makes beautiful spinach triangles, and I'm sure she's posted them here before. Maybe she'll cruise through and post them for you again.

Edit: I just found her link: Ms. Mofet's Spinach Pies
Old 01-29-2012, 05:04 PM   #4
Sous Chef

Are you trying to make burekas? I make them all the time - As another reader suggested one version is with Phyllo. The version I make often is with Puff pastry. Never had a recipe call for pizza dough though - some recipes call for making your own dough but if you are going to purchase dough it is always suggested to use the puff pastry for the flaky layers...
Old 01-29-2012, 06:33 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Sounds like you need to use puff pastry or pie dough. I think you became confused with the word 'dough'. If you can't find puff pastry or phyllo dough, then use pie dough. but roll it out as thin as you can and dock it before cutting it into triangles. Dock in to pierce the dough with a fork to keep the dough from rising during baking. Good luck.
Old 01-29-2012, 07:15 PM   #6
Head Chef

It was definitely bread dough. I jut can't figure out if I should have let it rise one more time before baking . Buckytoe, any suggestions?
Old 01-29-2012, 09:09 PM   #7
Sous Chef

Someone copied a recipe from my fav author on Middle Eastern food, Claudia Roden, here is the link to the recipe Sambousak Bi Lahm Egyptian Meat Pies) Recipe - Food.com - 317336

You can use the recipe for the dough - her recipes rarely fail.
Old 01-29-2012, 09:15 PM   #8
Certified Pretend Chef

If the pies are to much bread, roll the dough out thinner. Thinner dough will result in a thinner crust.

Filo and puff pastry are other options but certain not required or even preferred.
Old 01-30-2012, 01:15 AM   #9
Master Chef

Thank you SS for the compliment and posting the recipe.

I make a Greek style with pyllo leaves. BUT I was inspired by an Armenian co-worker of my mom's. His mom would make them with bread dough and form tricorns (triangles) that were open in the middle. I must say they are easier to make. I make balls of dough. Then I put a ball in my palm and flaten it a bit. Then put a HUGE amount of filling in the middle and pull the sides up over the filling and then crimp dough together to form a triangle. I pinch mine in the middle loosely. As they bake they pop open in the middle a bit and the filling peeks out. I like to brush them with melted butter after baking to give the bread a nice shine. I will try to make some soon with the dough and post a picture in my Spinach pie thread.
Old 01-30-2012, 01:16 AM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siegal View Post
Someone copied a recipe from my fav author on Middle Eastern food, Claudia Roden, here is the link to the recipe Sambousak Bi Lahm Egyptian Meat Pies) Recipe - Food.com - 317336

You can use the recipe for the dough - her recipes rarely fail.
Please note. The dough for this recipe has no yeast. Pizza or bread dough does. And that is what she used. Her error was in using pizza dough.