Need advice on rolling out dough

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lyndalou

Head Chef
This afternoon, I decided to try to make spinach pies like I used to have when visiting my Lebanese friend's mother. I did well with the filling...But... the dough.

I used purchased pizza dough and it rose quite a bit in the refrigerator (I've had it for 3 days) so I punched it down and let it rest for about an hour.

I had a terrible time rolling it out and but managed to make some triangles and put them into the oven to bake. The dough rose again and there is just too much bread for the filling I put inside.

Can you help me re rolling the stuff out and also how I can get it to be not so much bread?

Appreciate any help.

My guess would be that you need to roll out the dough and then dock it with a fork and bake it shortly after that. Please note that I am only guessing here.

Are you trying to make burekas? I make them all the time - As another reader suggested one version is with Phyllo. The version I make often is with Puff pastry. Never had a recipe call for pizza dough though - some recipes call for making your own dough but if you are going to purchase dough it is always suggested to use the puff pastry for the flaky layers...

Sounds like you need to use puff pastry or pie dough. I think you became confused with the word 'dough'. If you can't find puff pastry or phyllo dough, then use pie dough. but roll it out as thin as you can and dock it before cutting it into triangles. Dock in to pierce the dough with a fork to keep the dough from rising during baking. Good luck. :)

It was definitely bread dough. I jut can't figure out if I should have let it rise one more time before baking . Buckytoe, any suggestions?

If the pies are to much bread, roll the dough out thinner. Thinner dough will result in a thinner crust.

Filo and puff pastry are other options but certain not required or even preferred.

Thank you SS for the compliment and posting the recipe.

I make a Greek style with pyllo leaves. BUT I was inspired by an Armenian co-worker of my mom's. His mom would make them with bread dough and form tricorns (triangles) that were open in the middle. I must say they are easier to make. I make balls of dough. Then I put a ball in my palm and flaten it a bit. Then put a HUGE amount of filling in the middle and pull the sides up over the filling and then crimp dough together to form a triangle. I pinch mine in the middle loosely. As they bake they pop open in the middle a bit and the filling peeks out. I like to brush them with melted butter after baking to give the bread a nice shine. I will try to make some soon with the dough and post a picture in my Spinach pie thread.

Last edited:
Thank you all for your advice. I am going to try the dough for the Egyptian Meat Pies the next time. You are right, Addie, I shouldn't have used yeast dough. MsMofet, the spinach pies look amazing. I am very intimidated by phyllo, so I avoid using it.

Thank you all for your advice. I am going to try the dough for the Egyptian Meat Pies the next time. You are right, Addie, I shouldn't have used yeast dough. MsMofet, the spinach pies look amazing. I am very intimidated by phyllo, so I avoid using it.

Don't be intimidated...just keep the portions you are not using under a moist towel. It is very simple to work with!

Thank you lyndalou. Like I said above I have used yeast dough also. Rise once then fill. You just need to use more filling than you think. BUT be sure you squeeze the spinach dry before using it in the recipe. I DON'T let them rise after I fill them. I put them right in the oven to bake.

Don't be intimidated...just keep the portions you are not using under a moist towel. It is very simple to work with!
PF is exactly right. You need to keep it covered. I cut it into the size I need then sandwich it between waxed paper THEN I put the waxed paper sandwich on a damp towel and fold the towel over the top so it is in a waxed paper and towel blanket. This picture shows the waxed paper and the towel under. After I remove some to use I fold it over the top over the leaves till I need to remove more.

img_1102062_0_e61d8c14a8cc1d8455628e12e556a3e1.jpg

It just takes some practice. You can "patch/mend" any tears with a little butter as "glue".

Last edited:
Lyndalou, depending on brand of course, but store bought dough I get, Rhodes, requaires pationts. You have to strache it, or roll it out and let it east, roll it out some more and let it rest again. You may have to do it 3-4 times. Also you do not need to let it rise.

Back
Top Bottom