Need help with oven temp for a yeast bread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

decolady

Assistant Cook
Sorting through my recipe file, I came across one for Pear, Fennel Pollen, Hazelnut Bread. It is a breadmaker recipe and I haven't actually used the breadmaker to bake the bread in years. I just use it to make the dough and then bake the bread in the oven. The thing that is throwing me off here is the pears. Perhaps they make no difference to baking time and temp? Ingredient list:

½ cup water warm
3 Tbsp vegetable oil
3 Tbsp sugar
½ Tbsp salt
1½ large pears, peeled, cored and diced
3 1/8 cups bread flour
3 Tbsp wheat germ
½ Tbsp fennel pollen
3 Tbsp hazelnuts, chopped
2¼ tsp instant yeast

Anyone have some good ideas about what temperature to bake this and for how long? I will be using a standard metal loaf pan. Oven can either be a standard oven or convection.

Thanks in advance!

I've been baking all of our bread products for years and years. Really. Haven't bought commercially-made bread in more than 20 years.

I, too, use my bread machine to do the "hard" work and finish the rest myself and, in my experience, most of my yeast breads cook at about an oven temp of 400F. Now, I must qualify that temp because I almost always exclusively use glass pans for my loaf breads. This means that I use about 25 degrees lower temperature because glass is such a good conductor of heat. You could probably use about 425F for metal pans, unless they are dark/black ones. In that case, I would stick with the 400 degree temp.

I cook bread at 350, use a bread machine to knead the bread, generally start the machine at night and bake in the oven in the morning. I use a thermometer to 190 degrees.

It seems to me that the pears would only change the liquid content, and the total liquid in the recipe, including the pears, seems about right. I would bake as you normally would.

Thanks so much! I really appreciate the responses.

The pan I used was my grandmother's vintage metal one with the star pattern embossing. I adapted the recipe a bit and baked at 375°F for somewhere between 35 and 40 minutes. After it finally got to room temperature, I sliced and tasted. Delicious!

Last edited:
Whenever I use a "bread machine" recipe but bake in the oven, I always find something similar in my baking cookbook and use that temp/time. Hasn't failed me yet.

Glad your bread came out great!

The pan I used was my grandmother's vintage metal one with the star pattern embossing. I adapted the recipe a bit and baked at 375°F for somewhere between 35 and 40 minutes. After it finally got to room temperature, I sliced and tasted. Delicious!

Good for you! I would have burned my fingers and tongue on the hot bread. I was going to say I bake bread at 375 in a regular oven and 350 when I use the convection feature, unless the recipe specifies something different.

Thanks for letting us know how it turned out.

I thought it was interesting, too. It seems to me I must've found it a few years ago when I was looking for recipes using fennel pollen. Wish I had made note of where I got it.

I used pecans for the nuts and I think it would make terrific croutons for a salad using pears and pecans. I'm thinking an assortment of baby greens, pears, toasted pecans and shaved parmesan. Dressing a vinaigrette made with either pear or raspberry vinegar.

Sounds to me like it would make a terrific sandwich, with prosciutto and shaved Parmigiano Reggiano as the filling. And arugula.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom