NY Times bread with herbes de provence

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LadyCook61

Master Chef
It tasted wonderful with herbes de provence ! I added about a tablespoon of it to the water and yeast before adding the flour. I also used bread flour instead of all purpose. Next time I am going to try Hawaiian sea salt instead of regular salt .

Last edited:
The "add-ins" are only as limited as our imaginations. I'm thinking red pepper flakes and cilantro with a little jack cheese might be good to go with chili.
sounds good ! I plan to try different cheese and herbs and spices.

alright you giys are killin' me.
I made my first plain NYT, now I have bread on the mind constantly after getting off a bread baking kick last year!!!!!
You know what bread does to me?
Makes me eat extra butter!!!!!!!

It tasted wonderful with herbes de provence ! I added about a tablespoon of it to the water and yeast before adding the flour. I also used bread flour instead of all purpose. Next time I am going to try Hawaiian sea salt instead of regular salt .

Add some diced black olives too... that would be really good!!

You know what bread does to me?
Makes me eat extra butter!!!!!!!

Try a little EVOO instead of butter. Great flavor either freshly cut or drizzled on after toasting. I think it's better for you than butter, but I could be wrong. The Italians have been using olive oil longer than butter, and they're still here to tell about it.:LOL:

Joe

It tasted wonderful with herbes de provence ! I added about a tablespoon of it to the water and yeast before adding the flour. I also used bread flour instead of all purpose. Next time I am going to try Hawaiian sea salt instead of regular salt . Attached Thumbnails
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=4234&d=1212509116

Truly a beautiful loaf of bread. Let's tear off a hunk and chase it with a carafe of merlot and a nice wedge of cheese. Life don't get much better than this.:-p

Joe

I baked my first loaf yesterday. I used the herbes de provence, same amount as you did. I put it in the dry ingredients. I alos used bread flour. I mixed everything dry wery well then put in the water and yeast (Proofed in water). I used 1/2 tsp yeast, as my yeast is active dry, not instant.

My DW impounded my loaf of bread and told me to go make my own loaf, if I wnated any. I did take two slices for my sandwitch today, It is great, thank you LC61. Thank You very much.

I wonder if it would work with 1 1/2 cups bread flour and 1 1/2 cups whole wheat?

I baked my first loaf yesterday. I used the herbes de provence, same amount as you did. I put it in the dry ingredients. I alos used bread flour. I mixed everything dry wery well then put in the water and yeast (Proofed in water). I used 1/2 tsp yeast, as my yeast is active dry, not instant.

My DW impounded my loaf of bread and told me to go make my own loaf, if I wnated any. I did take two slices for my sandwitch today, It is great, thank you LC61. Thank You very much.

I wonder if it would work with 1 1/2 cups bread flour and 1 1/2 cups whole wheat?
Glad it worked out for you. I think it would work with the bread flour and whole wheat. I like KA white whole wheat , I've used it for the bread but I used 2 1/2 of bread flour and 1/2 of the white whole wheat.

I usually sub one cup of ww for one cup of white in the recipe, and I sprinkle the Herbes de Provence on top--not mixed in.

(Another tasty change-up to the NYT recipe is to sub a cup of rolled oats for a cup of flour, and add a couple tablespoons of honey. No H de P in this one, however.)

:)I've made it with some added oatmeal and seeds like flax, sesame, poppy sometimes wheat bran etc. The sky is the limit.

Back
Top Bottom