NYT Rye Bread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JoeV

Washing Up
Forgive me if this has been covered in that huge NYT thread with 396 posts, but I wasn't going to re-read every one of them. Asking for forgiveness is easier than asking for permission. :LOL:

Anyway, yesterday I had a taste for rye bread, but didn't have time to make the loaf described in my previous rye bread post. So, I decided to go the NYT route (which I've never made NYT Rye before) and bake it in the evening when I got home. Because of the very low gluten content in rye flour, I added an extra 1/8 t of yeast to compensate for it, and it looks like it was the perfect adjustment. Here's the recipe I used:

No-Knead Rye Bread

Ingredients:

3/4 C Dark rye flour (Light rye will also work fine)
2-1/4 C All purpose flour (I use unbleached)
1-1/2 t Kosher salt (other salts are fine)
3/8 t Instant Yeast (that's 1/4 t plus half of that again)
1-1/2 T Caraway seeds (Optional, although I don't know why you'd leave it out)
1-1/2 C Water

Directions:

Mix and bake as any other NYT bread recipe.

Alternate Recipe by weight:

4 oz Dark (or Light) Rye flour
12 oz Unbleached all-purpose flour
3/8 Teaspoon Instant Yeast
1-1/2 Teaspoon Salt
1-1/2T Caraway seeds (Optional)
13 oz. Lukewarm water

Not only did this bread come out delicious, it was also very high in profile with a soft crumb and chewy crust. I just had a ham sammich with mayo on this bread and it was exquisite. I just can't say enough about how good this bread came out, and without the added work of making regular rye bread. Hassle free and delicious.

JoeV

img_704229_0_721bfcfdbc60ec8029b82c0ac738d65a.jpg

Last edited:
Looks wonderful , Joe. Thanks for the recipe. I will have to get some dark rye flour, all I have is the light rye.

Looks wonderful , Joe. Thanks for the recipe. I will have to get some dark rye flour, all I have is the light rye.

LC, just use your light rye flour. I used dark because it's what I had in the cupboard.:LOL: I better adjust the recipe so folks don't feel they need to go buy another flour if they already have one of them. Silly, silly me.

JoeV

LC, just use your light rye flour. I used dark because it's what I had in the cupboard.:LOL: I better adjust the recipe so folks don't feel they need to go buy another flour if they already have one of them. Silly, silly me.

JoeV

thanks, Joe. If I can find the flour in the cupboard I will try it. :) I have so many different flours . :LOL:
I found the flour , so mixed it all up and now I wait... and wait and wait ....

Last edited:
Great work Joe - LC61 funny you should say that. I was laughing to myself the other day that if a neighbor came to my house to borrow a cup of flour, it could be a long conversation.

Looks great, I'll have to try that sometime.

It's been awhile since I made a No Knead loaf, are you using more yeast than usual, or am I remembering wrong? (thought it was about 1/4 tsp)

I once did a similar rye, but I did mine as a variation on the Cook’s Illustrated Almost No Knead recipe. I left out the vinegar and subbed about 1/4 of the flour for dark rye flour, then added in about a 1 Tbsp of caraway and 2 Tbsp of dehydrated minced onion. I heated the beer and water to almost boiling, poured it over the onion, let it cool, and proceeded roughly as normal for the CIANK loaf. It came out very nicely.

JoeV, I love your pics and expertise. And I love rye, but mayo with ham? Sacrelige in my house! You make it sound so easy, I think I'll give this one a try. I could only find light rye flour, but you said this will work too. So, now that it's finally October weather this week - last week we were still getting August temps, I won't mind turning the oven on in the am. Will let you know.
thanks!

Hey Joe or anyone....have you ever made a Dark Rye bread using coffee crystals?? Just currious if you could taste the coffee.....

Hey Joe or anyone....have you ever made a Dark Rye bread using coffee crystals?? Just currious if you could taste the coffee.....
No, but I have seen recipes calling for coffee or coffee crystals. I made a dark rye (called George's light rye) with cocoa and molasses that made great sandwiches, but DW did not care for the cocoa taste in the bread.
img_713093_0_7dfa8e1b920ce5d3a9690ed99570b88f.jpg

Try the coffee crystals and let us know how it turns out. Nothing ventured, nothing gained! I would try it but I have 3 loaves of bread (1 rye) in the oven right now, and it's too late to do another one. It's almost 10:00 p.m. here.

JoeV

Thanks I'll let you know if/when I try it! One in the oven right now?? Wow you must dream about bread!! lol

Back
Top Bottom