Onion flavor doesn't come out much from bread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chueh

Senior Cook
My onion flavor bread does not have much onion flavor as commercially made ones. Thompsons' Everything Bagels are even quadruple as onion-flavorful than mine. I tried both dry dice onion from the spice jar and fresh onion, yet neither yields much flavor. How can I get more onion flavor out of the onion of the bread? Perhaps, just sprinkle onion pieces on top of the bread, instead of roll them in the dough together??? Not sure, but my onion pizza topping is more onion flavor than the bread. Thanks

When I make onion bagels, I use a combination of toasted onion flakes and onion powder. I mix both into the dough.

When I make onion bagels, I use a combination of toasted onion flakes and onion powder. I mix both into the dough.

I was thinking the same thing about the powder. It is very strong and should bring out the onion flavor you are looking for. Good luck! :angel:

Wow, did not think of powder would bring out more flavor, due to its ground up consistency. Will try it. Thanks both

Wow, did not think of powder would bring out more flavor, due to its ground up consistency. Will try it. Thanks both

The more surface area there is, the more flavor is released. And drying herbs and spices removes moisture, thus concentrating the flavor.

Just be careful. Remember the dry is very strong and too much and all you will taste is the onion. More than you wanted to. Same goes for the dry garlic powder. :angel:

For 1250 grams of bagel dough, I add a quarter cup of toasted onion flakes and 1.5 teaspoons of powder.

Back
Top Bottom