4th Generation Baker, Roger Auzut in the provinical town of Cavaillon, Provence, France had given us his bread recipe which employs both bread flour and rye flour, providing the spectacular color, crust and texture. This is a phenomenal rustic bread ... Hope that you enjoy it as much as we have. I have some in the oven right now ...
Unfortunately, I cannot load a photo on this thread, as no matter how many times I have tried, I cannot do it ... So, would somebody, please send me a PM with the instructions simplified ... Thanks for your assistance in advance.
COUNTRY BREAD ... PAIN DE CAMPAGNE ...
makes 3 loaves ...
1 cup warm water 105 farenheit to 115 farenheit degrees
1 tblsp honey
1 envelope dry yeast
1 cup Rye flour
1 cup plus 1 tblsp. bread flour
1. mix water & honey in bowl
2. ADD YEAST and stir to dissolve
3. let stand until foamy 10 minutes
4. add 1/2 cup rye flour and 1/2 cup bread flour and stir to blend
5. add remaining rye flour to form a shaggy mass that can be worked with hands
6. turn out starter onto floured surface and knead 3 minutes adding more bread flour if too sticky to work
7. starter shall be doughlike in texture at this point
8. sprinkle 1 tblsp bread flour in medium bowl
9. add starter dough to the bowl and cover with plastic wrap and let stand at room temperature overnight and you shall find, the starter shall lose its shape and spread to a thick batter.
THE BREAD ...
1. PLACE 1/4 warm water in small bowl
2. sprinkle yeast all over and stir to dissolve
3. mix 3 cups bread flour and rye flour in bowl of heavy duty mixer fitted with dough hook
4. add yeast mixture and remaining 2 1/2 cups water and mix on low speed to combine
5. add 1 cup bread flour and beat 4 minutes
6. add enough bread flour to form a shaggy mass and beat 4 mins.
7. add salt and starter; continue mixing until dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl and add more bread flour if too sticky to form dough about 5 minutes.
8. turn out dough onto lightly floured surface and turn to coat
9. transfer dough to large bowl and cover with kitch towel and let rise and room temperature 1 hour
10. generously flour 1 heavy baking sheet and punch dough down
11. turn out onto floured surface and knead until smooth 2 mins.
12. divide into 3 equal parts and shape into balls and place two balls on large sheet and 1 on medium sheet and cover with kitch towels
13. let rise at room temperature and until doubled about 2 hours
14. preheat oven 450 degrees farenheit
15. place baking pan in bottom of oven and add water to create
16. using sharp knife, cut 3 diagonal slits across top of each loaf
17. place baking sheet with the 2 loaves into oven
18. bake until breads are deeply brown and hollow when tapped on bottom and sounds hollow - 35 minutes - 40 mins.
19. transfer to rack and cool ...
*** LABOROUS, HOWEVER, UNFORGETTABLE;
HAVE A LOVELY 4th,