"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Yeast Breads, Rolls & Braids

Old 10-15-2013, 03:39 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Send a message via AIM to msminnamouse Send a message via Yahoo to msminnamouse
Please tell me where I went wrong?

I followed this recipe: Homemade Bread Bowls Recipe - Food.com - 495386

What I did different is that I didn't mix it by machine, I mixed it by hand, kneading it for a good ten minutes or so. I also put a shallow bowl of water in with the bread to bake.

It rose up just fine the first time. Then I punched it down and plopped it onto the baking sheets, on parchment paper to rise a second time.

I put it in the oven to rise, with the light on for warmth. I gave it 30 minutes and they rose up again, but more out than up. I thought that when they bake, they'd get taller.

Now baking, the time is almost up and they're very squat and probably going to be dense.

I always seem to have this problem when I bake bread, no matter what recipe or kind I make.

Dense bread that doesn't do what it's supposed to the second rising.

I measured. I was patient for rising. I made sure to build the gluten. I waited for the oven to preheat. I'm not at a really high or low elevation. I dunno where I'm going wrong. :(

Old 10-15-2013, 03:54 PM   #2
Sous Chef

I'm no expert on baking bread but my mother-in-law told me that the bulk of the rise is better than the timing. There's no guarantee that 30 minutes will be the exact time needed to get a double in the rise. I would have waiting for the doubling to happen rather than assuming 30 minutes is the rule. My best suggestion would be to forget about timing and go by appearances.

Old 10-15-2013, 04:08 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Also do not "punch" it down. Yeast is a living organism. It destroys a lot of the gas bubbles that formed in the first rising. Treat it gently. Fold it over more or less before putting it in for the second rise. Definitely give it more than 30 minutes for that second rising.
Old 10-15-2013, 04:15 PM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

I read the first three reviews. They all loved the texture and all commented that the breads came out too small. Basically the same problem you had. You might want to try another recipe.
Old 10-15-2013, 05:06 PM   #5
Proud American

I would look for another recipe of this also.

With love,
~Cat
Old 10-15-2013, 06:49 PM   #6
Master Chef

I'm having simular problem, so I have no advise.