"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Yeast Breads, Rolls & Braids
Click Here to Login

Old 12-17-2017, 01:30 PM   #1
Head Chef

Preferment, but NOT sourdough

I havenít found a sub-forum or thread dealing with non-sourdough preferments. Iíve been reading up on Bigas and Poolishes, on the web and with the excellent books youíve all recommended. With every article, chapter, or recipe, I become more confused. And the discussion about the three major preferments is often heated and prolonged.

Iím not ready for sourdough yet. But I am very ready to use a Biga or Poolish to up the flavor quotient for my pretzel and pizza doughs, my babka, and my French loaves.

Do you make the preferment using part of the flour, water and yeast from the recipe, then subtract those amounts from the recipe when mixing the dough? Do you make a preferment completely separate from the dough recipe? If the latter, how much of the preferment do you add to the dough, and do you need to adjust or reduce the amounts of flour, liquid and yeast in the dough to compensate for the addition of the preferment? Does the preferment take the place of the yeast in the dough recipe? And which preferment works best with which types of dough?

If you feel like mentoring a person whose curiosity can sometimes be irritating, and who is sometimes a little dense, I could sure use some help!

Old 12-20-2017, 11:17 AM   #2
Executive Chef

I use part of the required ingredients for the dough recipe in my poolish when making ciabatta. I generally make it up the night before, then cover with a kitchen towel and leave on the counter overnight. I then measure out the remainder of the flour and water in my mixer bowl, then add the fermented poolish and mix and knead or fold as required for the bread I'm making.

For instance: My ciabatta requires 35 ounces of flour and 25 ounces of water with 1Ĺ tsp of yeast for 3 loaves. I use 10 - 10 - Ĺ for the poolish, then 25 - 15 - 1 added to that to finish the dough.

Old 12-23-2017, 01:53 PM   #3
Head Chef

Does size matter?

Hereís my poolish, I hope it doesnít get biga (couldnít resist, sorry!)!

Click image for larger version

Name:	2A4BA4F7-9373-4480-872A-647EAFFC4CF9.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	21.7 KB
ID:	28725

Tags
dough, sourdough