Problem with burnt bottoms of bread rolls... any advice?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I too have adopted the methodology that I'm obsessive about listing ingredients in exact order used.

I often divide ingredient lists into groups, and the groups usually match individual steps in the methods (or significant steps) which are listed following the last ingredient.

Some people head all the ingredients "ingredients:" and follow that with either "method:" or "directions:" ... Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. Of course it's obvious which is which. I sometimes wonder if it's better with the headings or without. I've never been able to make up my mind.

Another interesting style is Joy of Cooking style: ingredients are listed above each step of the method, alternating ingredients and steps throughout the recipe. Although this is a good style I still prefer to write my own recipes with all the ingredients you need at the top of the recipe, shopping list style.

There are many ways to style recipes and I'm sure people will always differ on their preferences.

Mastering The Art of French Cooking
by Julia Child also uses the protocol of alternating ingredients and directions. I've seen a number of older cookbooks that follow that method.

I forgot about that. I even have a copy of Mastering The Art of French Cooking, one of my favorite cookbooks although I haven't explored it to the degree I've explored Joy of Cooking. I got the Julia Child book only a few years ago. I'm sure it will take me many years before Julia's book becomes as familiar to me. Both are IMO "must have" books.

I too have adopted the methodology that I'm obsessive about listing ingredients in exact order used.

I often divide ingredient lists into groups, and the groups usually match individual steps in the methods (or significant steps) which are listed following the last ingredient.

Some people head all the ingredients "ingredients:" and follow that with either "method:" or "directions:" ... Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. Of course it's obvious which is which. I sometimes wonder if it's better with the headings or without. I've never been able to make up my mind.

Another interesting style is Joy of Cooking style: ingredients are listed above each step of the method, alternating ingredients and steps throughout the recipe. Although this is a good style I still prefer to write my own recipes with all the ingredients you need at the top of the recipe, shopping list style.

There are many ways to style recipes and I'm sure people will always differ on their preferences.

By doing this, you can know right away if you have all the ingredients on hand. :)

I have to confess that I'm using a store 'value' brand... it never even occurred to me that this could be the problem? Eeeeeek, silly me! :ohmy:

I can't imagine parchment paper is involved in the burning bottoms. An inexpensive parchment paper may not prevent sticking, but shouldn't have any impact on burning. That's a function of temperature and time.

I'm using a cheap parchment paper right now and it works fine, no difference in browning at all. I got it at The Christmas Tree Shoppes, for like $1.99 for 45 sq ft.

I'll stand by my previous comment. A rich egg dough with sugar needs a lower temperature, those two ingredients will accelerate browning and burning.

I have real pan liners coming today, along with some other baking goodies!

You should be able to make every recipe in the book within a year...

...according to the blog and the movie.

Perhaps I could but I don't have a decent kitchen, and if I did I would probably be cooking Asian food at least half the time.

I don't know about any blog or movie. I've got the book, bought it because I borrowed a copy from the library and thought it was great (I'll buy my own copy of any cookbook I like that much) and I've got the rest of my life to pick and choose which recipes to cook.

Another thing, I don't buy cookbooks just for recipes, and of course I think most everybody would agree that Julia explains and shows a lot of interesting cooking techniques. I read cookbooks like that and then often instead of cooking the recipes I incorporate the ideas into my own recipes. Her book is worth reading for that alone, although the recipes are good too.

...I don't know about any blog or movie...

Greg, I was just making reference to the Julie and Julia blog and subsequent movie of the same name starring Meryl Streep as JC.

The blogger, Julie, set a goal of preparing every recipe in the book in 365 days.

Oh I see now. Yeah, I guess I heard of it. Well I hope for the blogger's sake that the recipe has no more than 365 recipes. :)

I can understand why a blogger would do that. It's a clever idea to build traffic and gain followers. There's nothing like trying to break some kind of record or meet some kind of challenge.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom