Problems with bread in a Breadman machine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chrissy36

Assistant Cook
i purchased a breadman years ago but along that time i lost the recipe book. i was able to go online and only retrieve the manual. on that note, i attempt to bake a loft yesterday to no success. it didnt rise. i used the receipe from a forum post. wasted time and energy. dont know what i did wrong. the bread seem half done and half soggy, maybe it was not done. i follow the exact order for placing the ingreditents. tried again, but this time was worst bc i didnt stop the machine so it locked up into "cool off mode" by that time it was 12am and i lost my patience waiting for it to unlock so i left everything sitting bc didnt know what to do. anyhow woke up this am to try with the ingredients which had been sitting a few hours. doesnt look like going to rise and has a very smooth texture, not hard dough like yesterday. again, waste time and energy, not to mention finances. help....what can i being doing wrong?

Chrissy, sorry to hear about your problem. Check out the following site. It lists a buch of different machines, including yours ...and some of the recipes for those specific machines. Good luck, and let us know how you make out.

Bread Maker Recipes

Possibly the yeast was too old or expired. Fresh yeast is a must for successful bread...

Sounds to me like the problem is the yeast, either not enough or outdated. I would try again this time with new yeast and just using the dough cycle on the machine then shaping the loaf, letting it rise and baking it in the oven in case there is something wrong with the thermostat in your bread machine.

Chrissy, with a bread machine, the measuring of ingredients is crucial. Male sure that the amount of water is exactly right. Make sure that the ingredients are added in the order specified. Finally, thur your attention to thee yeast. Does the package say that it is for bread machines? Look at the date on the yeast, is it expired? finally, if youhave enough yeast to try an expreament, put a tsp of yeast in 1/2 cup of water whish is between 85 and 105 degrees fharenheight. Add a gnereous pinch of flour and a generous pinch of sugar. Wiat 10minutes. If the ere is nota good head of foamontopof the yeast, your yeast is bad. This experament will render thetest yeast unusable in the bread machine.

I have a breadman, I think I have the books, manual and recipie. I bake all my bread byhand, so, I donotuse it. If youwant some recipies from the recipie book scanned and e-Mailed, please pm me with your e-mail address and I will be happy to oblige.

Hoep this helps.

AC

I have a breadman bread machine and haven't followed one recipe that came with it, so I don't think following a different recipe is the culprit. We just had a thread here on what can go wrong with breadmaking and two things seemed to stand out, one moreso than the other, bad yeast and poor measuring of the ingredients. And realize that as the seasons change, so do the measurements of the ingredients if you measure by volume as opposed to weight. It's that whole humidity thing....

thank you all for the replies. what does it mean if the texture is very googy. is that the gluten. and after it baked it had a funny smell. some info: i left the dough to sit awhile to see if would rise but didnt rise. in fact. it had sunk further when i got home. when i first put the dough to rise the basket was hot. i think the cooling of temp made it drop.

do i need a special flour or the prepackaged bread flour??????

the problem is when i first bought the machine. i used the prepackaged mix and had the book so i got the perfect loaf. since using my own flour and not having the book, i can never get the dough to rise pass half the height of the basket.

"googy"? Do you mean gooey? It means there's too much liquid as opposed to dry ingredients. The dough should be tacky, not too dry, not too wet.
The smell I'll assume was the yeast. It's really the only ingredient that has a smell to it that I can think of.
I use a recipe that calls for bread flour. It is supposed to have more gluten I think? Which is good when using a bread machine? Something like that... I've also used an entirely different recipe that called for AP flour. That loaf was different, more dense and more moist like a sandwich bread, but equally good.

thank you sounds right. how do i send a person reply to a member. want to send email.

The easiest way is to click that persons name in their post. You will get a dropdown menu. One of the choices is to send a private message. Click it and go from there.

AC

Here ya go, Chrissy.

This is two hours into a total time of 3:18, what my breadmachine cooks a 2 lb loaf in (I rarely use rapid cycle). I'm pretty sure it has another 45 minutes rise time before the baking cycle comes on. It's about 1/3 - 1/2 bigger than what it started.

Attachments

• bread dough.jpg
    bread dough.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 254
And about 12 minutes later. You can see how much it's risen by looking at the sides of the pan.
One more thing maybe you are forgetting, you are supposed to add your salt in one end of the pan and make a pocket for the yeast in the ingredients on the opposite end. If they mix too quickly it inhibits the yeast. I always spread the sugar around when I add that because I think the yeast feeds on the sugar. It all gets mixed rather quickly, but it might help fix your problem.

Attachments

• bread dough2.jpg
    bread dough2.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 213
Might as well post one more ;) Ooh, the house smells nice.

Attachments

• bread3.jpg
    bread3.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 243
Chrissy 36. I have The official Breadman recipe book. If you want to I can give you ant recipe you want for it. If there is a particular type of bread you want to make let me know too.

Back
Top Bottom