Proofing Bread in a sous vide (bain-marie)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chicouk

Assistant Cook
Hey All,

I find it quite difficult to proof my bread in the UK because of its cold weather.

I was wondering if it would be possible to proof bread in a covered glass bowl and set it over a sous vide bain marie or even let it float in the warm water, therefore I can have more control over the temperature.

Has anyone tried this before?

We have a member here that heats up her microwave and when it shuts off puts her bread dough in there to proof. It stays warm enough and long enough for the dough to rise. She is an avid bread maker and has lots of experience in bread making. :angel:

I also read another suggestion on a bread baking website which was to place the dough in the oven and set it for 400° F (204° C) for 30 seconds, then turn it off and leave it. I'm assuming an electric oven, I don't think it would work with a gas range because I think it depends on the heating element coming to full heat then giving it off for a few more minutes, so I've never tried it. We had a Samsung electric range in our old house, and the oven had a proofing setting that worked a charm.

My study is quite warm with the computer running, even in winter, so that's become my proofing room.

I have used an enclosed TV cabinet as a proofer.

You can also place the bowl on a gas stove (hob). That should keep it warm enough.

My immersion cooker isn't cool enough I don't think.

Actually chicouk, she doesn't "heat the microwave" per se, she heats a cup of water in the microwave. The moisture and warmth left behind in the microwave cabinet are sufficient to proof the bread - for about an hour, I think.

We have a member here that heats up her microwave and when it shuts off puts her bread dough in there to proof...
Addie, that "member" is Katie H, if I'm remembering right. Whoever it is, I hope they come along and advise chicouk correctly.

CG, it is Katie and you described her technique correctly. I do the same thing after she mentioned her method. Works great. Btw, in most microwaves, 1 cup of water will come to a boil in one minute.

Bread dough will proof in the refrigerator overnight. Cold is not your issue, proofing quickly is your issue. If you have a gas stove with a pilot light, just stick the dough in the oven and let it proof there. Fill a roasting pan with an inch or two of hot water and place the dough bowl in the pan. Cover the pan with a towel or even plastic. The hot water will provide a warm moist environment ideal for proofing.

Actually, bread proofed slowly (overnight) has more flavor than quickly proofed bread.

Last edited:
Actually chicouk, she doesn't "heat the microwave" per se, she heats a cup of water in the microwave. The moisture and warmth left behind in the microwave cabinet are sufficient to proof the bread - for about an hour, I think.

Addie, that "member" is Katie H, if I'm remembering right. Whoever it is, I hope they come along and advise chicouk correctly.

You are right CG. Thanks for the correction. That is exactly what she does. I knew it was her, and that she used the microwave. You filled in the blanks. I think she leaves the water in there for a few extra seconds.

Katie Where are you? :angel:

Actually, bread proofed slowly (overnight) has more flavor than quickly proofed bread.

Yeah. I like breads made by starting with a poolish or sponge, fermented on the counter overnight to build flavor. I have a good friend who is a great cook and a hospital nutritionist by trade, and she won't let me make ciabatta without making a loaf for her. :yum:

Put it in the oven with the interior light on. The oven keeps out draughts and the light will provide just enough heat to let the dough proof.

Put it in the oven with the interior light on. The oven keeps out draughts and the light will provide just enough heat to let the dough proof.

That's what I do. Even before I start to put the ingredients together, I put the oven light on. By the time I have everything mixed together, the dough is ready for rising and the oven is just the right temp for rising. Leave the light on. You can look at it and know when it is ready for the next step. :angel:

thank you all for your responses and great ideas on how to prove bread.

But i assume no one here has tried my proposed method using a sous vide/ban marie.

So what is the perfect temperature to proof bread then for a quick rise?

When it is cold my mother puts dough in microwave and every so often turns it on for couple of seconds.

Sent from my iPad using Discuss Cooking

thank you all for your responses and great ideas on how to prove bread.

But i assume no one here has tried my proposed method using a sous vide/ban marie.

So what is the perfect temperature to proof bread then for a quick rise?

I am just curious. Why is it so important for you to have a quick rise of your dough? the longer it takes to rise, the more structure and flavor your bread will have. :angel:

I bake bread often, and just put a study lamp (regular low wattage) over the bread dough....just enough to give some warmth.....have the bowl covered with saran wrap...... the lamp gives a little heat but not too much.........and this was in Kazakhstan where it would get minus 40 degrees in the winter.........so that was cooooooooooold........it worked just fine.......I never had to put it in the oven, etc., but that definitely would work great, too.........

I turn the oven on "warm" for about one minute. Then shut it off and turn on the oven light. Just enough warmth to encourage all the proofing it needs.

I also do not use plastic wrap over the top of the bowl. I prefer wax paper to prevent a crust from forming. The plastic wrap prevents the dough from continuing rising once it reaches the top of the bowl. The wax paper placed on the dough with the sides loose, allow the dough to rise as high as it is going to without any hindrance. :angel:

I have several ways of proofing,

I cover the dough with either plastic wrap or wax paper. Both are greased and laid directly on the dough. Then I cover the bowl with a tea towel.

Depending on the season and temp in the house/kitchen (I don't have central heat so it really fluctuates):-

Overnight in the fridge, on top of the fridge, in the oven with the light on, on top of the stove with the oven going (for other things), on the counter in sunlight.

It also depends on the actual recipe itself.. I try to stick to them as I'm not good at innovating new steps (unless I screw up somewhere) If they say it should take about an hour for the rise, then I put it where I think it will accomplish that.

I'm not sure I understand why people are putting water dishes under or around their rising dough. Why? I do leave a pan in the oven while actually baking and I sometimes even spritz water in during baking, but not while proofing.

Back
Top Bottom