Recipe for Wheat Rolls

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Charlotte-Ca

Assistant Cook
My neighbor to the north asked for my recipe, so here goes...

I've kinda make this up as I've gone along so some of the measurements aren't exact...

1 pkg yeast + 1 tsp sugar to proof the yeast
1 1/2 C. bread flour
1 1/2 C. wheat flour
1 tsp. salt
2 T. olive oil
2 T. molasses or honey
1 cup + or - Water - warm

Mix yeast, sugar and 1/4 c. warm water in a bowl and set aside for about 10 min to see if it gets foamy and doubles. This is a sign your yeast is active. As I've discovered - do not use Rapid Rise yeast as the success isn't always there.

Meanwhile measure the remaining ingredients into a bowl and with your stand mixer and dough hook add in yeast mixture and then enough water to make your dough come off the bottom of the bowl and yet soft enough it can still be beaten without coming all the way up the hook. If it is too soft - add a bit more flour a little at a time - if it climbs up the hook too much add water - only about a tablespoon at a time.

Kneed dough on a floured surface until smooth and elastic. Put into a warm, rinsed and oiled bowl and then flip the dough over so all sides are covered with a light bit of oil. Cover the bowl with a piece of waxed or parchment paper and then a tea towel over that. Set in a warm place out of a draft. (a lot of the newer ovens have a proof setting- take a look I just discoved mine did) When doubled in size - about 40 min...punch down and shape into your rolls, put into a greased pan - then cover as you did above and let it rise again - Bake at 400 degrees until nicely browned or surface sounds hollow when tapped. 10 min or so. Time depends on how you shape your rolls. Make about 18 rolls.

I've also used this recipe and put into a loaf pan. You can substitute the olive oil for butter. For newbees - like me....did you know that the air inside your home as well as the weather outside can alter how much flour and water you need in your recipe? When it's damp the flour is not as dry as it is in warm dry weather so with a bread recipe the amounts can vary. After a time or two you will begin to understand just how the dough should react and make adjustments to allow for that. Happy baking.

Back
Top Bottom