"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Yeast Breads, Rolls & Braids

Old 03-14-2012, 06:15 AM   #21
Senior Cook

Would anyone mind sharing their favorite Bread recipes (pumpernickle, whole wheat, etc)?

Old 03-14-2012, 07:15 AM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Since I've been active with DC, I've started keeping a recipe page when I make something, adding ingredients to the page after adding them to the food. At the end, I make notes on what worked and what didn't as well as anything else I might try the next time.

When I make the recipe again, I use the same page to note any changes and how they worked. I've "perfected" a few new favorites this way.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 09:26 AM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
I, too, never got the concept of "secret" recipes. I try to share, but in fact I seldom cook strictly from a recipe, so am much better with, "come over for the afternoon and we'll do it together." I simply forget that I stood there with a pepper grinder for what seemed like eternity, don't remember what the oven temp was, etc. And then there are friends/relatives who wonder why theirs doesn't taste as good as mine. One is insane (to me). I make Italian salad dressing using the cruet you can get for free with the mix. But when I tell people, use balsamic vinegar and extra virgin olive oil, they will not pony up for the extra $$. Then they wonder why their doesn't taste like mine. Similar with other things I make. They try to shortcut and wonder why it isn't as good, then kinda get mad at me .... Not seriously mad, but tell me I shortchanged the recipe so there's wouldn't taste as good as mine. I just roll my eyes and move on!
This used to happen to my mum. People loved her really simple tuna salad and would ask for the recipe, which she would give them. Then they would use Miracle Whip instead of real mayonnaise and complain that the one they made didn't taste as good.
Old 03-14-2012, 11:12 AM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
This used to happen to my mum. People loved her really simple tuna salad and would ask for the recipe, which she would give them. Then they would use Miracle Whip instead of real mayonnaise and complain that the one they made didn't taste as good.
More perfectly good recipes have been ruined because of the substitution of Miricle Whip in place of mayonaise.

Miricle Whip is for sandwiches. I think I will go to the Kraft site and see if they have recipes for MW.
Old 03-14-2012, 03:26 PM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

My Mom would take a little of the syrup from a can of fruit, mix it with Miracle Whip for a tasty, tangy dressing for the fruit.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 04:09 PM   #26
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
sad really. now that she's gone so are her recipes, and thereby one less way to remember what a wonderful person she really was.

That is one reason I share my recipes. The other (off the top of my head) is because I don't want to always have to make the same foods, someone else can do it and give me a break.
Old 03-15-2012, 05:09 PM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PattY1 View Post
That is one reason I share my recipes. The other (off the top of my head) is because I don't want to always have to make the same foods, someone else can do it and give me a break.
One of my most treasured possessions is my grandma's "cookbook." On my bucket list is to try each recipe (not sure what "Hairdresser's" are--thinking maybe cookies) and scan the pages and give copies to my cousins and their kids. Reading the recipes triggers lots of memories. I can see her making "S" cookies...
Old 03-15-2012, 06:10 PM   #28
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322
One of my most treasured possessions is my grandma's "cookbook." On my bucket list is to try each recipe (not sure what "Hairdresser's" are--thinking maybe cookies) and scan the pages and give copies to my cousins and their kids. Reading the recipes triggers lots of memories. I can see her making "S" cookies...
I consider my most valuable possession to be (besides my animals) is definitely my Grandmother's handwritten cookbooks. She had 3 of which I am very familiar with almost every recipe in them. I have photocopied them & now in the process of laminating each page to make cookbooks that will be safe to take the pages out and actually use. The originals are in my "fire bag" by the door. Just in case. Also all backed up on an external hard drive & on the computer. After living loved ones & pets, they are the next most important thing to me.
Old 03-15-2012, 09:11 PM   #29
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I like both Miracle Whip and Mayonnaise -- BUT, and this is a BIG BUT -- they are not interchangeable in recipes. Like you can't take distilled vinegar in a recipe when balsamic is called for, cannot use vegetable oil in place of extra virgin, and expect the same results.
Old 03-16-2012, 06:14 AM   #30
Senior Cook

Send a message via ICQ to Joshatdot Send a message via AIM to Joshatdot Send a message via MSN to Joshatdot Send a message via Yahoo to Joshatdot Send a message via Skype™ to Joshatdot
Quote:
Originally Posted by FluffyAngel View Post
Would anyone mind sharing their favorite Bread recipes (pumpernickle, whole wheat, etc)?
I really like Stone Buhrs bread recipes .. thought I've only done the Whole Wheat & White Bread

Recipes | Stone Buhr

also King Author has some nice looking ones too

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/RecipeHome