"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Yeast Breads, Rolls & Braids

Old 03-16-2012, 01:33 PM   #31
Head Chef

I don't have any bread recipes w/ a history/origin, but have you tried the NY Times No-Knead Bread?

No-Knead Bread - Video Library - The New York Times

Some recipes/dishes unrelated to bread, w/ interesting origins...

Cobb Salad
French Dip Sandwiches
Lobster Newburg from Delmonico's

And, the Sacher torte

Original Sacher Torte : Order Sachertorte online : Famous Chocolate Cake Austria

Sachertorte - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-16-2012, 07:24 PM   #32
Senior Cook

No, I haven't tried it, but thanks for the recommendation. I will.

Old 03-17-2012, 04:04 PM   #33
Chef Extraordinaire

So many of the recipes in and around Boston were given to us from the Native Americans. Sucatash. Corn and Lima beans. Cod fish cakes. The Natives taught the Pilgrims to use the cod for fertilizer as well as food. Corn bread. Corn gruel. They showed the Pilgrims where to find differend wild herbs. Wild onions were plentiful. The fish, clam and corn showders came from the cows that came over on the ships. Thus milk as the main ingredient. A recipe that the Pilgrims brought with them. Lobsters were plentiful and could be found on the beaches. They taught them how to find clams below the wet sand. Game was plentiful along with wild turkeys.

That first winter, many of the Pilgrims died. Many more would have died from starvation if it weren't for the Native Americans.
Old 03-17-2012, 04:20 PM   #34
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
So many of the recipes in and around Boston were given to us from the Native Americans. Sucatash. Corn and Lima beans. Cod fish cakes. The Natives taught the Pilgrims to use the cod for fertilizer as well as food. Corn bread. Corn gruel. They showed the Pilgrims where to find differend wild herbs. Wild onions were plentiful. The fish, clam and corn showders came from the cows that came over on the ships. Thus milk as the main ingredient. A recipe that the Pilgrims brought with them. Lobsters were plentiful and could be found on the beaches. They taught them how to find clams below the wet sand. Game was plentiful along with wild turkeys.

That first winter, many of the Pilgrims died. Many more would have died from starvation if it weren't for the Native Americans.
No good deed goes unpunished!
Old 03-17-2012, 05:15 PM   #35
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
No good deed goes unpunished!
How true. My tribe in Maine got the last laugh though. We sued the Federal Government and the Commonwealth of Massachusetts and won most of our land back. Plus a very large cash settlement. Now, every child born on the reservation has the funds to go to college and beyond completely free of charge. It is all paid for. And each adult member of the tribe receives a substantial check from the funds received every month.
Old 03-18-2012, 06:40 AM   #36
Chef Extraordinaire

I woke up early today and turned on the TV. There was a program on PBS about the Wampanoag Indian tribe here in Massachusetts. That is the tribe that helped the Pilgrims. A linguist in working with the tribe in writing down their language before it is lost. A lot of the tribe members are making a concerted effort to speak the language to the children. There was a part where a mother was cooking and the children were standing around. She was speaking the language telling the children what she was making the and the ingredients. The translation was interesting. There are no words for what she was using. Just a description. The showed the recipe written. It was so long. Yet the dish she was making was so simple.
Old 03-18-2012, 07:10 AM   #37
Executive Chef

Good Morning,

Portuguese regional cuisine is absolutely awesome. Unfortunately, Portugual had always been in the shadows of Spain, on the Iberian Peninsula, however, I have travelled to Portugual 4 times in the last two years for long wkends and we have had absolutely stunning fish, awesome shellfish, fab wines and Port, and gorgeous goat cheeses too ... as well as veggies as their climate is moist with sea ocean breezes giving this micro climate, perfect for agricultural thriving ... There is a wonderful array of up and coming Chefs ( José Avillez for example in Lisbon´s Barrio Chiado ) who had studied under Chef Ferrán Adriá in Las Rosas, Girona ( El Bullí ) and in France under Joel Rubachon and Michel Bras. Their culinary repertoire is quite amazing ...

Have a nice Sunday.
Margi.
Old 03-18-2012, 07:15 AM   #38
Executive Chef

@ Addie,

Sounds like a fascinating documentary ... Would have loved to watch it ... Many indigenious peoples are researching their roots, culinary history and linguistic heritage now. It is quite common in the Mediterranean too, especially in the Catalonia region of Spain, in Sardinia and Sicily and the Basque Country of France and Spain ...

I have a deep interest in the indigenious peoples of the Native America ( USA and Canada ), Perú, Mexico and South America too.

Thanks for lovely post.

Have nice Sunday.

Margi.
Old 03-18-2012, 07:20 AM   #39
Executive Chef

@ Aunt Bea: Fabulous post

Good Morning once again,

May I ask, where is Mount Pilot exactly ?

I truly enjoyed your post on the Native Americans ... I totally agree with you on the starvation factor of the Pilgrims --- if it wasn´t for the Native Americans ... they were wonderful farmers, cultivators, hunters and magicians when it came to when to plant, when to prune, when to gather etcetra ...

I have a great interest in the indigenious peoples of history, North and South American Tribes ... and have read many non fiction books on the subject ...

Thanks again for a good Sunday breakfast sheer reading pleasure.

Margi.