"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Yeast Breads, Rolls & Braids

Old 03-12-2012, 06:04 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Recipes With Interesting Origins

I loved Chief Longwind of the North's recipe for the Potato rolls that I made positively the most delicious loaves of bread from. I am just beginning to scratch the surface with yeast and I love love LOVE recipes with a history. I really would like to learn different loaf bread recipes. Perhaps a sourdough, a whole wheat or pumpernickle bread (like the ones from Outback Steakhouse), or a Hawaiian bread recipe. I have a white loaf recipe that I know works because my friend does it well; however I do not. Mine is a little dry & doesn't rise well or falls like a cake. I can do that potato bread recipe very well and it turns out so good that it's all I want to make. I would like to be able to make other things & LOVE recipes with a history. I can also make decent cinnamon raisin rolls. Those type recipes welcome also. Anybody care to share?

Old 03-12-2012, 07:21 PM   #2
Master Chef

Try Anadama bread. It is a yeast bread with cornmeal and molasses. The story goes that the wife of an old fisherman made it and he did not approve. He was supposed to have said Anna, damn her! Google for a recipe, it has many variations.

Old 03-12-2012, 08:15 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

reuben's have an interesting story to them.

so does salt wster taffy. i've ben in atlantic city, nj and santa barbara, california and both claim to have invented it. at least both use the same story about being out of water so they used readily available sea water, hence the name.
waiting for someone or something to show you the way.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 10:36 PM   #4
Head Chef

I don't know that this is exactly what you had in mind, but it always makes my mouth water.

Langos (Hungarian Pizza)

"The name comes from láng, the Hungarian word for flame... Traditionally lángos was baked in the front of the brick oven, close to the flames. It was made from bread dough and was served as breakfast on the days when new bread was baked. Now that people no longer have brick ovens and do not bake bread at home, lángos is virtually always fried in oil."

Lángos - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Langos : Traditional Hungarian Food

Old 03-13-2012, 04:44 AM   #5
Executive Chef

I often think about the brave person who invented Pea & Ham soup.
Whats for dinner darling ?
Oh its Pea and H.................
Old 03-13-2012, 05:21 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

A lot of New England recipes come directly from the Native Americans and the Pilgrims. Although our chowders come from Europe.
Old 03-13-2012, 06:42 AM   #7
Sous Chef

You seem to like to bake..so help me with this one.. Kolache..

My Aunt Tiny will not give up her secret recipe.. I've Begged, but she always sends me out to mow her lawn, says she will show me later, but when I get back, the dough is allready done! this brings huge howls of laughter from my Mother, and other Aunts..

I think the dough is essentially a yeast dough that is fortified with egg yolks ( like Italian Brioche), it has a sweet, strong flavor and has many uses from the pastry.. Kolaches.. to a Pig in a Blanket ... I had all of these as a child..I'm Czech/ German American which is common here ( Central Tx.)..

Thanks, Eric Austin Tx.
Old 03-13-2012, 07:07 AM   #8
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by giggler
You seem to like to bake..so help me with this one.. Kolache..

My Aunt Tiny will not give up her secret recipe.. I've Begged, but she always sends me out to mow her lawn, says she will show me later, but when I get back, the dough is allready done! this brings huge howls of laughter from my Mother, and other Aunts..

I think the dough is essentially a yeast dough that is fortified with egg yolks ( like Italian Brioche), it has a sweet, strong flavor and has many uses from the pastry.. Kolaches.. to a Pig in a Blanket ... I had all of these as a child..I'm Czech/ German American which is common here ( Central Tx.)..

Thanks, Eric Austin Tx.
Yes I do love to bake and I only wish I could help you out with this. I too love kolaches. I prefer mine either with cream cheese or fruit filling. I had an aunt who was german but she didn't do a lot of baking. She would go to Germany and bring back treats when I was a child that were just TDF, but the poor thing didn't like to cook much. Maybe someone else here might be able to help us out here. I'd be interested to try to make my own kolaches myself. I've thought about the versatility of the dough just never had a recipe. I like that its not overly sweet leaving many options open. If anyone has a recipe I'm interested in this also.
Old 03-13-2012, 07:19 AM   #9
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerise
I don't know that this is exactly what you had in mind, but it always makes my mouth water.

Langos (Hungarian Pizza)

"The name comes from láng, the Hungarian word for flame... Traditionally lángos was baked in the front of the brick oven, close to the flames. It was made from bread dough and was served as breakfast on the days when new bread was baked. Now that people no longer have brick ovens and do not bake bread at home, lángos is virtually always fried in oil."

Lángos - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Langos : Traditional Hungarian Food

Thank you for the suggestion. Yes I believe I will like this a lot. I will try this probably tomorrow.:-)
Old 03-13-2012, 07:24 AM   #10
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea
Try Anadama bread. It is a yeast bread with cornmeal and molasses. The story goes that the wife of an old fisherman made it and he did not approve. He was supposed to have said Anna, damn her! Google for a recipe, it has many variations.
When I visit my friend I will be able to better Google recipes. Great story and you got my attention with molasses and cornmeal. Thanks.