"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Yeast Breads, Rolls & Braids

Old 10-16-2013, 11:36 AM   #91
Master Chef

Anyway you like, I suppose. There was no sliced bread back there. People cut it themselves. As the matter of fact you could uy half or even a quarte of the loaf in the store. That is what I used to, 1/4 of the loaf everyday. A lot of times bread was still warm when I bough it.

Old 10-16-2013, 12:01 PM   #92
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
Anyway you like, I suppose. There was no sliced bread back there. People cut it themselves. As the matter of fact you could uy half or even a quarte of the loaf in the store. That is what I used to, 1/4 of the loaf everyday. A lot of times bread was still warm when I bough it.
I was asking because the Danish one is cut about 2 mm thick. Your picture looks like a version of the Danish bread, with no whole bits of rye and baked free form. So, I guess it isn't the same.

Is this a sourdough bread?

Old 10-16-2013, 03:06 PM   #93
Master Chef

It is sourdough. But the sour dough I buy n store is very, well, sour. This bread was not it had very rye flavor, but was not sour. Also, most dark breads made here call for coffee, cocoa powder or some other color enhancer. None of that was used there. The color you see is the color of rye bread. The rye flour was/is dark, it was not bleached. So the bread had this distinct dark brown color.
Old 10-16-2013, 03:45 PM   #94
Chef Extraordinaire

Charlie I assume you still are able to read/speak your native tongue. Have you ever tried to find a foodie site in one of the countries that make this rye bread you are trying to emulate? Perhaps they may have a recipe that will come out and behave th way you expect it to.
Old 10-16-2013, 04:06 PM   #95
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Charlie I assume you still are able to read/speak your native tongue. Have you ever tried to find a foodie site in one of the countries that make this rye bread you are trying to emulate? Perhaps they may have a recipe that will come out and behave th way you expect it to.
Good suggestion, Addie.
Old 10-16-2013, 04:26 PM   #96
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Good suggestion, Addie.
Thank you. I always believe in going to the source of experts. Want to make something chocolate? Go to Hershey's or Ghiradelli Chocolate.
Old 10-16-2013, 04:28 PM   #97
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Thank you. I always believe in going to the source of experts. Want to make something chocolate? Go to Hershey's or Ghiradelli Chocolate.
Yeah, when I want a Danish or Swedish recipe I search in Danish or Swedish. Bugs the heck out of me that Google usually asks if I want "only search results in English". No, I put those funny vowels in on purpose. I don't want any English results, thank you very much.
Old 10-16-2013, 04:34 PM   #98
Chef Extraordinaire

I sent two large pieces of cheese to my girlfriend in Atlanta yesterday. I packed them in a "Click and Ship" box and put it downstairs for pickup by the mailman. I had to sit there until he came to make sure no one tried to deliver it back to my door. Something the nosey folks do in this building. They fail to read the whole label and see only my name. And don't tell me they mean well. I have been through this too many times with them. I even had a large clearly written note on it stating it was for pickup only! Our mailman delivers package to our door. And sometimes, when he knows it is medicine, if the person doesn't answer, he lives it in the office. These folks just can't keep their nose out of anyone's business. When I stopped one person from picking it up to bring it back to me, they had the gall to ask what was I mailing. I gave my standard answer. "A package." Grrrrr!
Old 10-17-2013, 06:14 PM   #99
Master Chef

Quote:

Yes I do post and fallow three or four Russian cooking forums. It is not that simple, the products that are available there not alwasy available here. When they are available here they are not kosher, most of the time.
Old 10-17-2013, 08:11 PM   #100
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post

Yes I do post and fallow three or four Russian cooking forums. It is not that simple, the products that are available there not alwasy available here. When they are available here they are not kosher, most of the time.
And what I have found from the different ingredients that are available here, they just aren't the same. We like Roggen Dinkelbrot, a rye made with spelt flour (dinkel) and the odd time we can find it but it just doesn't taste like back in Germany. Maybe it's the water.

Tags
bread, rye bread