"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Yeast Breads, Rolls & Braids

Old 10-18-2013, 01:18 PM   #111
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post

Charlie I don't know why, but it bothers me that you cannot find the food you need to practice the laws of your religion. This is the "land of plenty." Have you discussed this with your Rabbi? He may know some sources.

Spike does a lot of work for a Jewish man that you could hardly call even a moderate Jew. Yet he does observe all the holy days. And his wife keeps a kosher kitchen and home. I am going to have Spike ask him where his wife gets the hard to find kosher items. If I can contact her source, perhaps they will know of a source closer to your home area. I am on a mission.
It's called supply and demand. There's not much demand for kosher ingredients in rural areas with a small Jewish population. In our area, large grocery stores have kosher sections, but that doesn't happen in smaller communities.

Old 10-18-2013, 08:53 PM   #112
Chef Extraordinaire

Charlie, Spike did a search for kosher bread making products and found that Walmart's carries it.

Hodgson Mill Whole Grain Rye Flour - Walmart.com

If your Walmart's doesn't have it in their store, you can order it in line and have it sent to your closest store with free shipping. They seem to have an extensive list of kosher products for bread making.

Old 10-18-2013, 09:07 PM   #113
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I can see the similarity, but malt is from sprouted grain, not from flour.
That makes sense. Thanks.
Old 10-19-2013, 02:47 PM   #114
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I agree with you, Charlie! No caraway for me.
Oh good. If you and Charlie don't like them there's more for me

I make a good old-fashioned English seed cake just for me about once a month. Yum.
Old 10-19-2013, 02:50 PM   #115
Executive Chef

Charlie - how long had you had the rye flour? I try and buy mine in small quantities - just enough for what I want to bake and don't store it.

Rye flour doesn't keep well and that can affect the rising properties.

EDIT: Oh sorry, just noticed the date on the original post. It was fairly well up the list.
Old 10-19-2013, 02:56 PM   #116
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
Flour is not a problem. The other things are like for example for a good rye bread, I need malted rye. And I cannot find it kosher.
Is there a Kosher bakery, café or restaurant near you? It might be worth asking them if they will either get you some or sell you some of their stock.
Old 10-20-2013, 09:05 AM   #117
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Charlie, Spike did a search for kosher bread making products and found that Walmart's carries it. Hodgson Mill Whole Grain Rye Flour - Walmart.com If your Walmart's doesn't have it in their store, you can order it in line and have it sent to your closest store with free shipping. They seem to have an extensive list of kosher products for bread making.
Flour is available everywhere, as the matter of fact flour doesn't need to be " kosher" it is kosher by default so to speak, just like fruits and vegetables. I am looking for malted grain.
Old 10-20-2013, 09:07 AM   #118
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
Charlie - how long had you had the rye flour? I try and buy mine in small quantities - just enough for what I want to bake and don't store it. Rye flour doesn't keep well and that can affect the rising properties. EDIT: Oh sorry, just noticed the date on the original post. It was fairly well up the list.
Interesting, I did not know that. I better start using it faster. I have a whole bag and though I bought it recently I better keep this in mind. How long does it less?
Old 10-20-2013, 05:18 PM   #119
Executive Chef

Quote:
Interesting, I did not know that. I better start using it faster. I have a whole bag and though I bought it recently I better keep this in mind. How long does it less?
W-e-ll, when I first bought it I was told to use it within a week once I'd opened it and when I buy it it usually has a very short "sell by" date on the packaging. I think it's to do with the oils in the grain. I do, however, think that a week is a bit on the conservative side.

If I have any left when I've baked with it I put it in a Lock and Lock box in the freezer and I find it keeps longer like this. I've used it after a couple of months and it's been OK.

(I've just checked on this and apparently it will keep 6 months to a year, depending on who's written the articles, in the freezer.)
Old 10-20-2013, 09:39 PM   #120
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Flour is available everywhere, as the matter of fact flour doesn't need to be " kosher" it is kosher by default so to speak, just like fruits and vegetables. I am looking for malted grain.
Just curious, if flour is kosher by default, what is it about malted grain that might not be kosher?

Tags
bread, rye bread