Rye bread.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So glad to have found this thread! My husband LOVES his rye bread, so I bought some rye flour at the bulk store to try my hand at making some.

I often add caraway seeds and a bit of instant coffee.
I'm curious - what does the instant coffee do, flavour-wise?

Or add vital wheat gluten.
Ah, I've seen that at the bulk store too and wondered what one would use it for. Must grab some next time I've there.

For free form (artisanal loaves), I only let the bread rise about 50% during the final rise outside the oven on a wooden bakers peel. The rest of the rise (about another 50%, hopefully more) occurs during the first 20 - 25 minutes while baking in the oven at 400 - 425*F on a stone that is 425 - 475*F.
Thanks for so many of your great tips in this thread. As a beginner to the world of bread-making, you have been a shining beacon of knowledge. :flowers:

I could, put butter if bread was exclusively made to be used with dairy products. But that is not the case. It has to be nether dairy nor meat. Vegetarian so to speak.

Thank you. I love learning about other religions. All of it has such a rich history. :angel:

Baked a 2 1/2 pound loaf today-
30% whole wheat, 30% high ash first clear wheat flour, 25% high gluten bread flour, 15% rye flour with 1 TBS caraway, glazed with corn starch & water.
Dough fermented in fridge for 2 days, final kneading and shaping done with cold dough straight from fridge and baked within 15 minutes of removal from fridge.
Baked 1hr 15 min at 375* F.
12624-albums942-picture5306.jpg
12624-albums942-picture5307.jpg

Last edited:
The other 12 ounces was consumed with brie and sweet butter as soon as the loaf cooled sufficiently, at about 0930 today. I started preheating the oven at about 0300.
Tomorrow I have to start the preheating by about 0400 so that I can bake my wife's Hutzelbrot. Hope I can persuade her to make another 3 batches since it freezes well and is great for breakfast in the summer when it's too hot to do any baking.

Baked a 2 1/2 pound loaf today-
30% whole wheat, 30% high ash first clear wheat flour, 25% high gluten bread flour, 15% rye flour with 1 TBS caraway, glazed with corn starch & water.
Dough fermented in fridge for 2 days, final kneading and shaping done with cold dough straight from fridge and baked within 15 minutes of removal from fridge.
Baked 1hr 15 min at 375* F.

Bill, where do you buy high ash flour?

Charlie I went to KA site. There is no K or circled U anywhere on the packaging. It also said that it is processed on equipment that processes also eggs, milk and various nut, including coconuts. That's to bad because they make superior products. So it looks like you need to follow Bill's advice. And it sounds like it is good advice.

Charlie take a look towards the end of the page. It tells you about their rye flour. And ALL of their products are Kosher. Heartland Mill
:angel:

Last edited:
Rye beer bread TNT

I was given a recipe for dark beer bread, but I did not like the end result, but did like the idea in general.
I was inspired by Bills’ recipe, so I played with it for a bit and this is what I end up with.
300 gr whole grain flour
150 gr rye flour
500 gr bread flour
1 bottle of light beer
1 bottle of Malt drink, it is called Malta Goya and can be found in Mexican section in the grocery stores here in MN, it is very dark and very sweet.
2 tea spoons salt
2 packs yeast.

Mix all the dry ingredients in the bowl of KA mixer. Separately mix beer and Malt drink with yeast let it seat for about 10 minutes. Add it to the bowl and mix well, for good for good 5 to 8 minutes. Take the dough out, it should be heavy but not sticky, you can use a little bit of oil to finish kneading so it doesn’t stick to the bowl. Spray the bowl with oil and put the dough back in, cover with damp towel and let it rise for an hour, an hour and a half. Knead again for couple of minutes, I divide into two and put into 8 X 3 7/8 X 2 25/32 Loaf Pans, (btw, I love those dimensions, could they be anymore idiotic or what, really what is wrong with 4 inches, what about 2 and a half, 15/32 really?)
Let it rise second time, 30-40 minutes. Bake at 400 deg, first half an hour with water on the bottom, second half an hour without the water. Honestly I did not think it is going to be any good, so I did not shmear anything on the top, only couple of quicj slices, but my kids even loved it, and those crazy kids do not eat anything but Wonder bread (yuk).

P.S. Next time I will try to remember and check the ounces instead of metric.

Attachments

• IMG_0454.jpg
    IMG_0454.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 289
Charlie, that bread looks great. It must be special if the kids ate it. You could get a job at Wonder Bread. :angel:

Rye beer bread TNT

I was given a recipe for dark beer bread, but I did not like the end result, but did like the idea in general.
I was inspired by Bills’ recipe, so I played with it for a bit and this is what I end up with.
300 gr whole grain flour
150 gr rye flour
500 gr bread flour
1 bottle of light beer
1 bottle of Malt drink, it is called Malta Goya and can be found in Mexican section in the grocery stores here in MN, it is very dark and very sweet.
2 tea spoons salt
2 packs yeast.

Mix all the dry ingredients in the bowl of KA mixer. Separately mix beer and Malt drink with yeast let it seat for about 10 minutes. Add it to the bowl and mix well, for good for good 5 to 8 minutes. Take the dough out, it should be heavy but not sticky, you can use a little bit of oil to finish kneading so it doesn’t stick to the bowl. Spray the bowl with oil and put the dough back in, cover with damp towel and let it rise for an hour, an hour and a half. Knead again for couple of minutes, I divide into two and put into 8 X 3 7/8 X 2 25/32 Loaf Pans, (btw, I love those dimensions, could they be anymore idiotic or what, really what is wrong with 4 inches, what about 2 and a half, 15/32 really?)
Let it rise second time, 30-40 minutes. Bake at 400 deg, first half an hour with water on the bottom, second half an hour without the water. Honestly I did not think it is going to be any good, so I did not shmear anything on the top, only couple of quicj slices, but my kids even loved it, and those crazy kids do not eat anything but Wonder bread (yuk).

P.S. Next time I will try to remember and check the ounces instead of metric.
300 g = 10.6 oz
150 g = 5.3 oz
500 g = 17.6 oz
950 g = 33.5 oz
Baked-off weight = ~ 1.4 kg or 50 oz or 3 lb 2 oz

I haven't found where to subscribe so I am making a pointless post. sorry lol

In the upper section of the page, just above the first post on the page, there is an aqua coloured strip. Find the drop down menu labelled "Thread Tools". Subscribe (or unsubscribe if you are already subscribed) is on the drop down menu.

In the upper section of the page, just above the first post on the page, there is an aqua coloured strip. Find the drop down menu labelled "Thread Tools". Subscribe (or unsubscribe if you are already subscribed) is on the drop down menu.

Thanks and I no longer pay tax :LOL:

I made the dough today and it would not rise at all. I had nothing to lose, so I just put it in the oven. And look how it rose during baking, I do not understand this. Anybody care to vhaim in?

Attachments

• 20130714_210231[1].jpg
    20130714_210231[1].jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 294
Last edited:
I made the dough today and it would not rise at all. I had nothing to lose, so I just put it in the oven. And look how it rose during baking, I do not understand this. Anybody care to vhaim in?

I don't have an answer but I want some. :angel:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom