Rye bread.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Andy, thank you. I did everything as I usually do, but it just would not rise, I let it seat for 2 hours. I finaly gve up and decided that I can always throw it away after it bakes. And all of a sudden in the oven it rose like it has nevr done before.

Andy, thank you. I did everything as I usually do, but it just would not rise, I let it seat for 2 hours. I finaly gve up and decided that I can always throw it away after it bakes. And all of a sudden in the oven it rose like it has nevr done before.

Charlie, rye dough is much denser and thereby takes much longer for the dough to rise. Even overnight. Also, put the dough in the oven with the light on. The light bulb will give off enough heat to assist in the rising of the dough. And a side benefit is you can peak in the window to see what it is doing. :angel:

Yes, I know all of that, but usually it takes no more than an hour for it to rise. And it never rises that much in the oven.

It is pretty dense. No big holes. Actually could have left in oven for another few minutes. I like my bread a little bit on the dry side.

I am still trying to find best tasting rye bread. I made bread yesterday using this recipe: Homemade Rye Bread Recipe : Emeril Lagasse : Recipes : Food Network

The texture was great, the taste was great, the collor was great,the only problem and that is what's really weird - it did not rise, not at all. I do not even understand how it is possible. If it did not rise it should have been hard and heavy but it was not.

What, no pickle juice? HORRORS! LOL!

I've often wondered what the pickle juice is for - it must be a substitute for something we can't get in the US ... at least that recipe included caraway seeds. Rye bread without caraway seeds is just ... wrong!

You can't have really good Jewish rye without caraway. To each their own ... but rye without caraway just isn't very good.

Rye bread in America is nothing that I am used to. I have never had anything even remotely similar back in Soviet Union as far as rye bread goes. And both Russia and Ukraine are famous for the rye breads. As the matter of fact rye breads are not only staple in many regions some places it was the only type of bread you could get. I only wish I was interested in baking back when I was there so I could have found the original recipes. As far as caraway seeds go, I only heard of them and have never seen or tasted them until I came to America. So what you call real Jewish Rye is Real American Rye and has very little to do with the real rye, same as bagels. American bagels have nothing in common with Russian bagels which supposedly were brought to America by Jewish people.

You can't have really good Jewish rye without caraway. To each their own ... but rye without caraway just isn't very good.
Okay, now I gotta say something. I like a bit of caraway in what North Americans call rye bread, but not too much.

I even like caraway in akvavit.

But, please don't put any in my Danish rye bread. This is made with 100% rye flour. It can have whole rye grains, like in this picture, and nowadays, seeds are sometimes added.

4_300.jpg

But, its okay in what Dane's call "surbrød" (sour bread, because it's made with sourdough). This is made with wheat flour and sifted rye flour.

Surbroed.org..jpg

Last edited:
Rye bread in America is nothing that I am used to. I have never had anything even remotely similar back in Soviet Union as far as rye bread goes. And both Russia and Ukraine are famous for the rye breads. As the matter of fact rye breads are not only staple in many regions some places it was the only type of bread you could get. I only wish I was interested in baking back when I was there so I could have found the original recipes. As far as caraway seeds go, I only heard of them and have never seen or tasted them until I came to America. So what you call real Jewish Rye is Real American Rye and has very little to do with the real rye, same as bagels. American bagels have nothing in common with Russian bagels which supposedly were brought to America by Jewish people.
Charlie, is the bread in the above picture, that I call Danish rye bread, the same as what you think of as rye bread? I can find plenty of recipes for that one. I'd be happy to translate a recipe if you want.

You are so right Charlie. Americans seem to have it in their blood to make over ever food our ancestors brought from the old country. We just love to experiment. My daughter-in-law is from Romania. When an American tries to tell her mother how to improve one of her native dishes, Zanna tells them straight out, "I will not bastardize my food just to please Americans. I cook good solid Romanian foods that I grew up with." And she does. She makes these meatballs that I could sit and eat until I get sick. I wouldn't dream of telling her how to change them. Ever time I go to my son's for a holiday dinner, she makes me a pile of them to take home. They are only for me. :angel:

Frankly I don't care what they eat in Russia and the Ukraine since I don't live there. I like a bit of caraway in my rye. It doesn't taste like proper rye bread without it.

As I said, to each their own ... What kills me are the number of 'merican "rye" recipes that call for cumin seed, because people don't seem to know the difference between caraway and cumin, LOL! Some day I would like to try a rye with some carom seed (ajwain) - it has a flavor that I think would go well with rye.

Back
Top Bottom