Rye bread.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Frankly I don't care what they eat in Russia and the Ukraine since I don't live there. I like a bit of caraway in my rye. It doesn't taste like proper rye bread without it.

As I said, to each their own ... What kills me are the number of 'merican "rye" recipes that call for cumin seed, because people don't seem to know the difference between caraway and cumin, LOL! Some day I would like to try a rye with some carom seed (ajwain) - it has a flavor that I think would go well with rye.

It all comes down to what you learn to eat the first time. In Russia seeds were not used for flavor, but planting next year's crop. :angel:

Addie, if that were true, all cooking would be pretty plain - because nearly all spices are actually seeds. Plus, there'd be no bread because there'd be no flour because they saved all the seed to plant ... to what purpose is the planting if you don't use some of what you grow for food? Or at least decoration, say flowers ...

Charlie, is the bread in the above picture, that I call Danish rye bread, the same as what you think of as rye bread? I can find plenty of recipes for that one. I'd be happy to translate a recipe if you want.

No, not at all. I'll try to find a picture to post here.

Frankly I don't care what they eat in Russia and the Ukraine since I don't live there. I like a bit of caraway in my rye. It doesn't taste like proper rye bread without it.

Frankly I do not care if you think that it is "wrong" or "doesn't taste proper". I do think it is true: "To each his own".

Taxlady, here is a picture that i think close resembles Ukranian Bread I am used to.

Attachments

• Bread.jpg
    Bread.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 212
Frankly I do not care if you think that it is "wrong" or "doesn't taste proper". I do think it is true: "To each his own".
Oddly enough, I made that statement in reference to Jewish Rye, not Ukranian or Russian or Dutch Rye ... And I WAS being a bit facetious. But if you want to be that serious about it, feel free. LOL!

Just because it is called "Jewish", doesn't mean that it is Jewish per se. They have brought it from the places they used to live in at the time, and those places are in fact Russia and Ukraine. I am not serious about this at all. You like what you like, I like what I like. The only reason I quoted you was because on one hand you are saying to each his own on the other hand you saying it is wrong. Really it doesn't matter.

Anyway you like, I suppose. There was no sliced bread back there. People cut it themselves. As the matter of fact you could uy half or even a quarte of the loaf in the store. That is what I used to, 1/4 of the loaf everyday. A lot of times bread was still warm when I bough it.

Anyway you like, I suppose. There was no sliced bread back there. People cut it themselves. As the matter of fact you could uy half or even a quarte of the loaf in the store. That is what I used to, 1/4 of the loaf everyday. A lot of times bread was still warm when I bough it.
I was asking because the Danish one is cut about 2 mm thick. Your picture looks like a version of the Danish bread, with no whole bits of rye and baked free form. So, I guess it isn't the same.

Is this a sourdough bread?

It is sourdough. But the sour dough I buy n store is very, well, sour. This bread was not it had very rye flavor, but was not sour. Also, most dark breads made here call for coffee, cocoa powder or some other color enhancer. None of that was used there. The color you see is the color of rye bread. The rye flour was/is dark, it was not bleached. So the bread had this distinct dark brown color.

Charlie I assume you still are able to read/speak your native tongue. Have you ever tried to find a foodie site in one of the countries that make this rye bread you are trying to emulate? Perhaps they may have a recipe that will come out and behave th way you expect it to. :angel:

Charlie I assume you still are able to read/speak your native tongue. Have you ever tried to find a foodie site in one of the countries that make this rye bread you are trying to emulate? Perhaps they may have a recipe that will come out and behave th way you expect it to. :angel:
Good suggestion, Addie.

Thank you. I always believe in going to the source of experts. Want to make something chocolate? Go to Hershey's or Ghiradelli Chocolate. :angel:
Yeah, when I want a Danish or Swedish recipe I search in Danish or Swedish. Bugs the heck out of me that Google usually asks if I want "only search results in English". No, I put those funny vowels in on purpose. I don't want any English results, thank you very much.

:wacko: I sent two large pieces of cheese to my girlfriend in Atlanta yesterday. I packed them in a "Click and Ship" box and put it downstairs for pickup by the mailman. I had to sit there until he came to make sure no one tried to deliver it back to my door. Something the nosey folks do in this building. They fail to read the whole label and see only my name. And don't tell me they mean well. I have been through this too many times with them. I even had a large clearly written note on it stating it was for pickup only! Our mailman delivers package to our door. And sometimes, when he knows it is medicine, if the person doesn't answer, he lives it in the office. These folks just can't keep their nose out of anyone's business. When I stopped one person from picking it up to bring it back to me, they had the gall to ask what was I mailing. I gave my standard answer. "A package." Grrrrr!

Yes I do post and fallow three or four Russian cooking forums. It is not that simple, the products that are available there not alwasy available here. When they are available here they are not kosher, most of the time.

Yes I do post and fallow three or four Russian cooking forums. It is not that simple, the products that are available there not alwasy available here. When they are available here they are not kosher, most of the time.

And what I have found from the different ingredients that are available here, they just aren't the same. We like Roggen Dinkelbrot, a rye made with spelt flour (dinkel) and the odd time we can find it but it just doesn't taste like back in Germany. Maybe it's the water.

Back
Top Bottom