"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Yeast Breads, Rolls & Braids

Old 02-20-2013, 04:09 PM   #51
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
Hey Bill, do you have one handy? Can you do me a fqavor and look it up if it kosher, please?
It's not certified Kosher. Heartland Mills carries Kosher flours and their Golden Buffalo flour might be close to the first clear flour. Sorta doubt the bread you are trying to recreate was Kosher.

Old 02-20-2013, 05:08 PM   #52
Chef Extraordinaire

Charlie I went to KA site. There is no K or circled U anywhere on the packaging. It also said that it is processed on equipment that processes also eggs, milk and various nut, including coconuts. That's to bad because they make superior products. So it looks like you need to follow Bill's advice. And it sounds like it is good advice.

Charlie take a look towards the end of the page. It tells you about their rye flour. And ALL of their products are Kosher. Heartland Mill

Old 02-26-2013, 12:02 PM   #53
Master Chef

Rye beer bread TNT

I was given a recipe for dark beer bread, but I did not like the end result, but did like the idea in general.
I was inspired by Bills’ recipe, so I played with it for a bit and this is what I end up with.
300 gr whole grain flour
150 gr rye flour
500 gr bread flour
1 bottle of light beer
1 bottle of Malt drink, it is called Malta Goya and can be found in Mexican section in the grocery stores here in MN, it is very dark and very sweet.
2 tea spoons salt
2 packs yeast.

Mix all the dry ingredients in the bowl of KA mixer. Separately mix beer and Malt drink with yeast let it seat for about 10 minutes. Add it to the bowl and mix well, for good for good 5 to 8 minutes. Take the dough out, it should be heavy but not sticky, you can use a little bit of oil to finish kneading so it doesn’t stick to the bowl. Spray the bowl with oil and put the dough back in, cover with damp towel and let it rise for an hour, an hour and a half. Knead again for couple of minutes, I divide into two and put into 8 X 3 7/8 X 2 25/32 Loaf Pans, (btw, I love those dimensions, could they be anymore idiotic or what, really what is wrong with 4 inches, what about 2 and a half, 15/32 really?)
Let it rise second time, 30-40 minutes. Bake at 400 deg, first half an hour with water on the bottom, second half an hour without the water. Honestly I did not think it is going to be any good, so I did not shmear anything on the top, only couple of quicj slices, but my kids even loved it, and those crazy kids do not eat anything but Wonder bread (yuk).

P.S. Next time I will try to remember and check the ounces instead of metric.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0454.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	17265  
Old 02-26-2013, 12:09 PM   #54
Chef Extraordinaire

Charlie, that bread looks great. It must be special if the kids ate it. You could get a job at Wonder Bread.
Old 02-26-2013, 12:42 PM   #55
Executive Chef

Quote:
Rye beer bread TNT

I was given a recipe for dark beer bread, but I did not like the end result, but did like the idea in general.
I was inspired by Bills’ recipe, so I played with it for a bit and this is what I end up with.
300 gr whole grain flour
150 gr rye flour
500 gr bread flour
1 bottle of light beer
1 bottle of Malt drink, it is called Malta Goya and can be found in Mexican section in the grocery stores here in MN, it is very dark and very sweet.
2 tea spoons salt
2 packs yeast.

Mix all the dry ingredients in the bowl of KA mixer. Separately mix beer and Malt drink with yeast let it seat for about 10 minutes. Add it to the bowl and mix well, for good for good 5 to 8 minutes. Take the dough out, it should be heavy but not sticky, you can use a little bit of oil to finish kneading so it doesn’t stick to the bowl. Spray the bowl with oil and put the dough back in, cover with damp towel and let it rise for an hour, an hour and a half. Knead again for couple of minutes, I divide into two and put into 8 X 3 7/8 X 2 25/32 Loaf Pans, (btw, I love those dimensions, could they be anymore idiotic or what, really what is wrong with 4 inches, what about 2 and a half, 15/32 really?)
Let it rise second time, 30-40 minutes. Bake at 400 deg, first half an hour with water on the bottom, second half an hour without the water. Honestly I did not think it is going to be any good, so I did not shmear anything on the top, only couple of quicj slices, but my kids even loved it, and those crazy kids do not eat anything but Wonder bread (yuk).

P.S. Next time I will try to remember and check the ounces instead of metric.
300 g = 10.6 oz
150 g = 5.3 oz
500 g = 17.6 oz
950 g = 33.5 oz
Baked-off weight = ~ 1.4 kg or 50 oz or 3 lb 2 oz
Old 06-27-2013, 09:16 PM   #56
Cook

I haven't found where to subscribe so I am making a pointless post. sorry lol
Old 06-27-2013, 09:41 PM   #57
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty71 View Post
I haven't found where to subscribe so I am making a pointless post. sorry lol
In the upper section of the page, just above the first post on the page, there is an aqua coloured strip. Find the drop down menu labelled "Thread Tools". Subscribe (or unsubscribe if you are already subscribed) is on the drop down menu.
Old 06-28-2013, 06:05 AM   #58
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
In the upper section of the page, just above the first post on the page, there is an aqua coloured strip. Find the drop down menu labelled "Thread Tools". Subscribe (or unsubscribe if you are already subscribed) is on the drop down menu.
Thanks and I no longer pay tax
Old 07-14-2013, 09:54 PM   #59
Master Chef

I made the dough today and it would not rise at all. I had nothing to lose, so I just put it in the oven. And look how it rose during baking, I do not understand this. Anybody care to vhaim in?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20130714_210231[1].jpg
Views:	83
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	18248  
Old 07-15-2013, 09:36 AM   #60
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
I made the dough today and it would not rise at all. I had nothing to lose, so I just put it in the oven. And look how it rose during baking, I do not understand this. Anybody care to vhaim in?
I don't have an answer but I want some.

Tags
bread, rye bread