"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Yeast Breads, Rolls & Braids

Old 10-14-2013, 02:35 PM   #71
Master Chef

I am still trying to find best tasting rye bread. I made bread yesterday using this recipe: Homemade Rye Bread Recipe : Emeril Lagasse : Recipes : Food Network

The texture was great, the taste was great, the collor was great,the only problem and that is what's really weird - it did not rise, not at all. I do not even understand how it is possible. If it did not rise it should have been hard and heavy but it was not.

Old 10-14-2013, 04:05 PM   #72
Senior Cook

What, no pickle juice? HORRORS! LOL!

I've often wondered what the pickle juice is for - it must be a substitute for something we can't get in the US ... at least that recipe included caraway seeds. Rye bread without caraway seeds is just ... wrong!

Old 10-15-2013, 02:34 PM   #73
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitchen Barbarian View Post
... Rye bread without caraway seeds is just ... wrong!
Not in my book it is not. I hate, really hate, did I say how much i hate caraway seeds. The one of most disgusting flavors there is, Brrrrrrrrrrr...
Old 10-15-2013, 02:45 PM   #74
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
Not in my book it is not. I hate, really hate, did I say how much i hate caraway seeds. The one of most disgusting flavors there is, Brrrrrrrrrrr...

I agree with you, Charlie! No caraway for me.
Old 10-15-2013, 03:35 PM   #75
Senior Cook

You can't have really good Jewish rye without caraway. To each their own ... but rye without caraway just isn't very good.
Old 10-15-2013, 04:05 PM   #76
Master Chef

Rye bread in America is nothing that I am used to. I have never had anything even remotely similar back in Soviet Union as far as rye bread goes. And both Russia and Ukraine are famous for the rye breads. As the matter of fact rye breads are not only staple in many regions some places it was the only type of bread you could get. I only wish I was interested in baking back when I was there so I could have found the original recipes. As far as caraway seeds go, I only heard of them and have never seen or tasted them until I came to America. So what you call real Jewish Rye is Real American Rye and has very little to do with the real rye, same as bagels. American bagels have nothing in common with Russian bagels which supposedly were brought to America by Jewish people.
Old 10-15-2013, 04:18 PM   #77
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitchen Barbarian View Post
You can't have really good Jewish rye without caraway. To each their own ... but rye without caraway just isn't very good.
Okay, now I gotta say something. I like a bit of caraway in what North Americans call rye bread, but not too much.

I even like caraway in akvavit.

But, please don't put any in my Danish rye bread. This is made with 100% rye flour. It can have whole rye grains, like in this picture, and nowadays, seeds are sometimes added.

But, its okay in what Dane's call "surbrød" (sour bread, because it's made with sourdough). This is made with wheat flour and sifted rye flour.

Old 10-15-2013, 04:20 PM   #78
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
Rye bread in America is nothing that I am used to. I have never had anything even remotely similar back in Soviet Union as far as rye bread goes. And both Russia and Ukraine are famous for the rye breads. As the matter of fact rye breads are not only staple in many regions some places it was the only type of bread you could get. I only wish I was interested in baking back when I was there so I could have found the original recipes. As far as caraway seeds go, I only heard of them and have never seen or tasted them until I came to America. So what you call real Jewish Rye is Real American Rye and has very little to do with the real rye, same as bagels. American bagels have nothing in common with Russian bagels which supposedly were brought to America by Jewish people.
Charlie, is the bread in the above picture, that I call Danish rye bread, the same as what you think of as rye bread? I can find plenty of recipes for that one. I'd be happy to translate a recipe if you want.
Old 10-15-2013, 04:26 PM   #79
Chef Extraordinaire

You are so right Charlie. Americans seem to have it in their blood to make over ever food our ancestors brought from the old country. We just love to experiment. My daughter-in-law is from Romania. When an American tries to tell her mother how to improve one of her native dishes, Zanna tells them straight out, "I will not bastardize my food just to please Americans. I cook good solid Romanian foods that I grew up with." And she does. She makes these meatballs that I could sit and eat until I get sick. I wouldn't dream of telling her how to change them. Ever time I go to my son's for a holiday dinner, she makes me a pile of them to take home. They are only for me.
Old 10-15-2013, 04:32 PM   #80
Senior Cook

Frankly I don't care what they eat in Russia and the Ukraine since I don't live there. I like a bit of caraway in my rye. It doesn't taste like proper rye bread without it.

As I said, to each their own ... What kills me are the number of 'merican "rye" recipes that call for cumin seed, because people don't seem to know the difference between caraway and cumin, LOL! Some day I would like to try a rye with some carom seed (ajwain) - it has a flavor that I think would go well with rye.

Tags
bread, rye bread