Rye bread.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CharlieD

Chef Extraordinaire
Made the rye bread for the first time yesterday. The recipe was extremely simple, as I did not have a whole bunch of ingredients that are usually recommended for the rye bread, i.e. molasses, malt, etc. It was not pure rye. 75% rye and 25% white all-purpose flour. Yeast and salt that is it. Also was not sure what would be better loaf or make it in the baking dish, made both. What/how do you do rye bread? Here is a pic.

Attachments

• IMG_0330[1].jpg
    IMG_0330[1].jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 355
Looks great, Charlie. You just reminded me I haven't made rye bread for awhile myself.

Did you add anything to it? Sometimes I like caraway or fennel seeds, or even onions.

Charlie,

Heaven scent ! I love homemade dark breads ... My Mom who was born in Switzerland used to bake all types of seeded dark breads. Well, then, I rather have home made bread, than dessert ... Truth ...

Kindest. Have lovely August.
Margi.

Looks great, CharlieD. I love rye bread and making it. Which reminds me...I usually form the loaves rather than using a pan. Or, I make rye bagels. I often add caraway seeds and a bit of instant coffee...and, I've been known to add some sauerkraut, too.

Last edited:
I did not add any seeds as I do not like them, especially caraway seeds; well I do like sesame, but did not think it would work for the rye bread. The loaf that I made by hand kind of flattened during baking, though it rose nicely when it was proofing. Still would like to hear some of your recipes for the rye bread, please.

Just read a recipe for a rye bread and it calls for "Maltodextrin" - what is it, or rather what name is it sold in the stores, is it even sold in the stores?

Thank you. Judging by the fact that there only two places selling the stuff I bet very few people probably using it.

Thank you, but I hav to say it did rise quite bit. I actually was hoping to make the bread completely rye, but did not do it. I will check and try to use you advise.

I better go to store and check availability, becasue on line it is crazy, for $1.99 product I'll have to pay $10 postage. I'm sure some body in town has this.

I did not add any seeds as I do not like them, especially caraway seeds; well I do like sesame, but did not think it would work for the rye bread. The loaf that I made by hand kind of flattened during baking, though it rose nicely when it was proofing. Still would like to hear some of your recipes for the rye bread, please.

Thank you, but I hav to say it did rise quite bit. I actually was hoping to make the bread completely rye, but did not do it. I will check and try to use you advise.
The final rise (oven sping) is critical.

The final rise (oven sping) is critical.

What do you mean?Talk to me, work with me, make a bread maker out of me. ;) I am still a novice at bread baking so far this is the only 3-rd type of bread I've made. It did rise on the final rise but fell in the oven.

For free form (artisanal loaves), I only let the bread rise about 50% during the final rise outside the oven on a wooden bakers peel. The rest of the rise (about another 50%, hopefully more) occurs during the first 20 - 25 minutes while baking in the oven at 400 - 425*F on a stone that is 425 - 475*F.

Much of the bread sold in the Eastern European stores where we shop contains a a fair amount of shortening. This is evidenced by the grease stains that appear on a paper bag in which we sometimes store the bread. This may conflict with Kashrut laws.

Back
Top Bottom