Rye bread.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I better go to store and check availability, becasue on line it is crazy, for $1.99 product I'll have to pay $10 postage. I'm sure some body in town has this.

Check health stores, your supermarket in the flour department, and a home brewing beer making store if there is one in your area.

Charlie I find that when I would make a free form bread, I let the last rise happen in the fridge. It takes longer for the rise to happen, but because it is cold, it doesn't collaspe as much as it does when you put it in the oven at room temperature. And it continues to rise as it starts to bake. :chef:

Made the rye bread for the first time yesterday. The recipe was extremely simple, as I did not have a whole bunch of ingredients that are usually recommended for the rye bread, i.e. molasses, malt, etc. It was not pure rye. 75% rye and 25% white all-purpose flour. Yeast and salt that is it. Also was not sure what would be better loaf or make it in the baking dish, made both. What/how do you do rye bread? Here is a pic.
looks fab charlie....can just taste it with a slice of laks & a hamisha gherkin....shot of vodka too:chef:!

Had the bread last night for dinner. I have to say though maybe it did not rise as mush much as I would have liked, but it tasted very similar to the breads I have bought in a Russian store here. Still not the same as the commercial bread I used to eat in Ukraine, but there it was made by thousands of loaves a day, in a huge bread factory, so it is a completely different production. Wish I could find recipe for one of those breads. All in all I am happy with the first try; at least the taste is there. :chef:
Wonder if it is possible to make all rye bread without adding wheat flour?

If using all rye, unless you like bricks, I think you'll need to use baking soda and baking powder instead of yeast.
With all the money you save by not buying szynka and boczek you should buy some first clear flour.

Last edited:
I see, what would happen if I use whole wheat flour instead of regular flour? Probably also a "brick"?

I see, what would happen if I use whole wheat flour instead of regular flour? Probably also a "brick"?
Not as bad but still benefits from a longer ferment than white bread flour. We make a wet dough, ferment it outside the refrigerator for 8 - 12 hours (overnight), knock it down, refrigerate it for 24 hours and then knead in the rest of the flour, rise for 45 minutes and then bake.

Charlie, when you are looking for information, go to the folks who have T&T recipes. King Arthur has some great recipes for what you are looking for. But the DC members have the knowledge just from 'doing'. They have made all the mistakes and have learned from them. So they can pass on to you their knowlege from experience. Two great sources. DC and KA.

King Arthur Flour - Search Results for rye bread

:yum:

CharlieD--do you want it to taste like commercial bread? I used to make a lot of rye bread when I lived in Germany. One of the things I added was cooked barley to get that heavy, grainy texture.

If using all rye, unless you like bricks, I think you'll need to use baking soda and baking powder instead of yeast.
With all the money you save by not buying szynka and boczek you should buy some first clear flour.
What's wrong with rye bread bricks? :LOL: This is what all rye bread baked with yeast/sour dough looks like. Notice how thin the slices are. That's because there is a lot of bread in that think slice.

rugbr_d_112.png

What's wrong with rye bread bricks? :LOL: This is what all rye bread baked with yeast/sour dough looks like. Notice how thin the slices are. That's because there is a lot of bread in that think slice.

rugbr_d_112.png
Unfortunately, for me, my wife likes those bricks and I do not. They used t o be sold here in foil wrapped packages. I can force them down if heavily covered with cream cheese.
Would probably make a good starvation ration.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, for me, my wife likes those bricks and I do not. They used t o be sold here in foil wrapped packages. I can force them down if heavily covered with cream cheese.
Oh, I'm in your wife's camp--that's the kind of bread I love to use for smorgasbord sandwiches!!!!Recipe! PLLLLEEEEEASE! Do I have to get on my knees...I have a bad knee....

Oh, I'm in your wife's camp--that's the kind of bread I love to use for smorgasbord sandwiches!!!!Recipe! PLLLLEEEEEASE! Do I have to get on my knees...I have a bad knee....
I have never made it, but if you click Opskrifter/Madopskrifter Alletiders Kogebog and copy and paste the word, "rugbrød" into the field labelled: "Søg på en opskrifts navn, eller brudstykker af navnet", then click "søg", you will get a list of a bunch of recipes for the heavy rye bread. If Google translate doesn't work well enough, let me know which bits don't make sense and I will translate them for you. BTW, if you need to type an "ø" and have a Windog computer, alt 0248 (using the numeric key pad) will give you one.

Cream cheese?

This is how you are supposed to serve this bread:

IMG_2820.JPG

Have you ever tried toasting it? Until almost crispy? Makes for a completely different eating experience with this bread. I'm not fond of cheese on this bread, unless it's toasted.

I changed the recipe a little bit and had better luck with rising. And bread actaully even tasted better. But the crust was very hard this time. Not sure what to do about this. Any sugestions ?

Thank you.

I changed the recipe a little bit and had better luck with rising. And bread actaully even tasted better. But the crust was very hard this time. Not sure what to do about this. Any sugestions ?

Thank you.
I have had good luck by "painting" butter or oil on the bread, when it comes out of the oven. I've been told that it also helps to let the bread cool under a tea towel.

Will your kosher laws allow you to put butter on the top of them? It is what I always have done. And it also gives the bread a nice shine. :angel:

I could, put butter if bread was exclusively made to be used with dairy products. But that is not the case. It has to be nether dairy nor meat. Vegetarian so to speak.

Back
Top Bottom