Rye Knaeckerbrod recipe
I made the dough in the bread machine on the bagel setting.
1-1/2 c water, 110 degrees
3 T instant coffee
1 T cocoa powder
3 T blackstrap molasses
2 T vegetable oil
1/4 tsp real vanilla
1/2 c purple barley and 1/2 c rye grains soaked in dark beer overnight, drained
1 c coarsely ground rye flour
1 c ww flour
1-1/2 c AP flour
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 tsp caraway seeds
1 tsp roasted fennel seeds
22 grinds of pepper
2 tsp dry yeast
1. Put the wet ingredients in the dough pan first.
2. Add 1 c flour--put the salt in
3. Add the rest of the dry ingredients, ending with the yeast in a well in the center.
4. Start the bread machine.
5. Once the dough is ready, knead on a board floured with a combination of rye and whole wheat flour for about 5-7 minutes until it "feels right."
6. Roll thin--I'm guessing 1/8-1/4". I made the dimples using a chop stick.
7. Cut into 4" x 4" squares.
8. Put on a greased cookie sheet sprinkled with more of the coarsely ground rye flour.
9. Preheat oven to 400.
10. Cover the "cookies" with a kitchen towel. Put in a warm place. Let rise 20-30 minutes.
11. Bake for 10 minutes, flip, bake another 5-10 minutes.
1. Not sure how this will work with commercially-ground rye flour. You might to adjust the liquid and the amount of flour.
2. You want them to be crisp, so you might have to adjust the time for baking them.