Savory Filled Breads

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
Savory Filled Breads, let me explain my thought here. We make all kinds of quick-breads that are filled with things like chopped dates, raisins, banana, apple bits, etc. So what about yeast breads; has anyone made a yeast bread with savory ingredients mixed into the dough, like bits of raw onion or garlic, or bits of ham, salami, pepperoni, sausage, cheese, olives, et.? If so, what changes did you have to make in order to successfully incorporate these into your bread, and what did you use the dough to make?

I'm thinking this might be great for making a thick-crust pizza. So what are your thoughts on the matter?

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Olive Oil, Rosemary & Kalamata Olive No Knead Bread (added to dough ingredients before proffing)

olive_rosemary_bread_051019_IMG_5809.JPG

Sausage Bread (added and rolled before baking)

sausage_bread_101209_3_P1040464.JPG

Last edited:
One of my favorites was also an olive bread, a sourdough bread with a lot of chopped up kalamata olives - that's it, and it was delicious! I've also made one with the olives and rosemary, and I think some garlic added - always a good combination! And then there are those Chinese steamed breads, with all those stuffings - not mixed into the dough, but a delicious surprise when you bite into them. Those rolled breads are good, too, some savory and some sweet. I make a lot more yeast breads than quick breads, for sure, and there are so many different things to do with it.

I've made this caramelized onion-sweet potato bread from Vivian Howard of Chef and the Farmer several times. It's a focaccia-style bread where you make a starter the day before and use it to make the bread. I also caramelize the onions and bake the sweet potato the day before, so all the ingredients are ready to go.

She uses it for what she calls her Elbow Lick Sandwich - basically a classic southern sandwich with fancy bread, heirloom tomatoes and basil mayonnaise, where the fresh tomato-mayo juice mixture runs down your arms :yum: [emoji38]

The recipe says to form it like a doughnut - free-form with a hole in the center. It's such a wet dough, that didn't work for me, so I bake it in two cake pans.

It's on the right in the picture, next to the burger buns. I made the bread basket for my neighbor's fall pork barbecue get-together in October.

https://www.karenskitchenstories.com/2019/01/sweet-potato-and-caramelized-onion-bread.html1012191759a.jpg

I'm thinking that the sausage bread would be gereat for making French toast with. You could also use the ham, or bacon stuffed breads.

The olive loaf would be great for Po Boys, or grinder style sandwiches, or even a meatball sub.

I wonder if you could steam a yeast bread wrapped around a chunk of Gruyere, or Ementeller cheese, then dripped into a pot of steaming soup to steam like a dumpling.

Another idea; make a very loose dough, a poolish even, ad lay in onroond a beef roast, llike you would yorkshire pudding, and let it bake with the beef. If using a filled bread, bacon bits, and caramelized onion, with mined garlic would be a good version.

Would these work?

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I love good sourdough rolls made with chopped kalamata olives, then put a slab of sharp cheddar on the warm roll. Heaven. I do nothing but make sure the olives are dry before mixing into the dough.

I'm thinking that the sausage bread would be gereat for making French toast with. You could also use the ham, or bacon stuffed breads.

The olive loaf would be great for Po Boys, or grinder style sandwiches, or even a meatball sub.

I wonder if you could steam a yeast bread wrapped around a chunk of Gruyere, or Ementeller cheese, then dripped into a pot of steaming soup to steam like a dumpling.

Another idea; make a very loose dough, a poolish even, ad lay in onroond a beef roast, llike you would yorkshire pudding, and let it bake with the beef. If using a filled bread, bacon bits, and caramelized onion, with mined garlic would be a good version.

Would these work?

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I've used toasted in toaster oven or broiler (or untoasted) slices of the sausage bread to dip in a nice runny over easy egg.

Back
Top Bottom