Sourdough starter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Done. The crust is the way I like it. The texture and flavor remind me of the peasant breads I ate in Europe--which is what I wanted, not a lofty, NA bread...I could've made bigger loaves/loaf, but I have to freeze some because I won't eat all this bread (and the chickens can't have it--it's MINE). I'm happy with it. There is still some tweaking to do, but this was a lot better than my first attempt!

Attachments

• sourdough_rye_bread_03.JPG
    sourdough_rye_bread_03.JPG
    218.8 KB · Views: 165
  • sourdough_rye_bread_04.JPG
    sourdough_rye_bread_04.JPG
    151.7 KB · Views: 177
I took the water out when the internal temp was 82F. I will take it out earlier next time around. The crust is a bit soft...but, I should probably put the loaves in paper bags and go to bed (otherwise, one loaf may be gone by 3:00 a.m.).

The purpose of adding fruit or fruit juice to a beginning wild yeast starter is to acidify the water and flour mix to make it more friendly to yeast growth and less friendly to growth of an undesirable bacteria.

FYI, the reason for using grapes in your starter is to capture the wild yeast growing on the skin of the grapes. That white dusting on the grape skins is naturally occuring yeast.

FYI, the reason for using grapes in your starter is to capture the wild yeast growing on the skin of the grapes. That white dusting on the grape skins is naturally occuring yeast.
We have tons of wild grapes in the fall...besides wine, jelly, and chicken treats, I can make starter! Except, the starter will be purple (but, then, I like purple!):)

What about the white, powdery dusting on blueberries? Is that wild yeast as well? I suspect it is and could then be used for the same purpose.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

CWS4322 said:
Done. The crust is the way I like it. The texture and flavor remind me of the peasant breads I ate in Europe--which is what I wanted, not a lofty, NA bread...I could've made bigger loaves/loaf, but I have to freeze some because I won't eat all this bread (and the chickens can't have it--it's MINE). I'm happy with it. There is still some tweaking to do, but this was a lot better than my first attempt!

Your bread looks great, and I think the chickens have had enough. You deserve to keep these loaves for yourself!

I usually use some of my white starter to
make rye or whole wheat because I read they
are more prone to go rancid.

Back
Top Bottom