Speaking of Toast...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Was it one of these Sunbeam Automatic toasters?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPHnEjApeYo

My grandfather had about a dozen of them. When Sunbeam stopped making them, he went to garage sales and bought all of them he could find. :LOL:

CD
I have one of those somewhere. I like the fact that it never flings your bread. I grew up with one of those.

Casey, that was like my Mom's toaster.

This one was like the one on my grandparents breakfast table for toast every morning.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdV8Cs5TEW8
I have used one of those.

When I was a kid, we would vacation in a rented cabin in the mountains. There was this style of stove top toaster.

il_570xN.227320627.jpg

When I lived in Denmark in the 1970s, I had this style of stove top toaster.

6aa078fd71cf04f260c519449db58c50.jpg

I cannot remember the last time we had a toaster. I know we've never had one in this house, so we're at 18 years or more. We may have replaced a pop-up toaster while in our last home (1991-2000) with a toaster oven; however, I kinda remember having a TO in the home prior to that. In any event, we're both happy with the results of using a TO for toasted bread, bagels, etc. I find it indispensable when baking/roasting something small enough that I don't want to turn on the big stove. In fact, I made sure this latest TO was big enough for me to bake a full-size loaf of bread. My hips have been ruing the day ever since I bought the bigger TO. :LOL:

I just went through a battle with my daughter. She bought me a toaster oven without asking me if I wanted one or not. I told her to take it back and get me something else. I simply do not have the counter space in this apartment. So what does she send me this past week? A beautiful ceramic Crock Pot that is just way too heavy for me. It is for a large family. It is huge.

I have a Hamilton Beach toaster that the slots adjust for thin slices of bread or thick bagels. And it fits on my counter.

I have a nice TO, big enough for roasting a 3 lb chicken on a 1/4 sheet pan. I don't eat toast. I do use the TO, a lot for any roasting or other oven work. Makes sense since it's just me. Last time I used the big oven was Thanksgiving two years ago.

Just had a thought and decided to write it down before I forget it.

Do you make toast with a pop-up toaster or a toaster oven (if you have one)? I do not.

If 'yes', why?

Pop up toaster is all we have. We've owned 3 toaster ovens over the years, but never liked the way they toasted bread. The controls failed on 2 of them, one wouldn't change modes and the other one wouldn't turn off. My wife went into the kitchen one morning and felt the heat from the TO -it had been apparently powered up all night, and we hadn't even used it for several days. That scared us enough to decide that if we were going to have to unplug it after every use for safety, then it just wasn't worth it. I read an article several years ago that toaster oven failure was a leading cause of fires started by appliance failure.

We didn't use it enough to make much of a difference anyway - just an occasional baked potato. It wasn't worth it for the loss of counter space. Plus our fairly basic 2 slice toaster only cost about $15, and has a nice home in the pantry, only brought out when we actually want to toast bread or bagels or English muffins. Our current kitchen doesn't have the counter space for an appliance that we use so sporadically.

I use both. I like how the bread comes out flatter and more evenly toasted in the TO, but as mentioned it requires more attention.

I had the opposite experience. I hated how unevenly the TO did the job of actually toasting bread. And because of the larger diameter heating elements, if you didn't take the bread out of the TO immediately, it kept cooking and you ended up with something more like Melba toast. That was true of all 3 of the TO's we owned.

The summer toaster we had at the lake cottage in Wisconsin when I was a kid looked like this:

s-l300.jpg

I have a fuzzy childhood memory of this kind of toaster, also from Wisconsin. Either Fremont or Park Falls. If my fuzzy memory is right, it made the toast, hot, toasted, and a little sooty.

All the inexpensive toaster ovens I've owned will toast the top of the bread fine, but the underside only gets half toasted. :ermm:

Speaking of toasters, I own a Cuisinart one but those little buttons labeled Bagel, Defrost and Reheat do absolutely nothing. :LOL:

Last edited:
We've had 3 toaster ovens over the years. When the 3rd one malfunctioned, we didn't bother to replace it, although they were very convenient, I prefer the pop-up toaster for toasting. Very occasionally I use a grill (broiler in American-speak), but you have to keep turning the bread to make sure it toasts evenly.

Gillian

I just went through a battle with my daughter. She bought me a toaster oven without asking me if I wanted one or not. I told her to take it back and get me something else. I simply do not have the counter space in this apartment. So what does she send me this past week? A beautiful ceramic Crock Pot that is just way too heavy for me. It is for a large family. It is huge.

I read an article today that this holiday season, $16 billion dollars will be spent on unwanted gifts. :LOL:

When the kids were all small, I got tired of the fights as to who was going to get their toast first. So I purchased a four slicer. Enough toast on the first cooking so that every kids got at least one slice while waiting for their second piece.

Back
Top Bottom