"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Yeast Breads, Rolls & Braids
Click Here to Login

Old 12-03-2018, 06:34 PM   #1
Certified Pretend Chef

Speaking of Toast...

Just had a thought and decided to write it down before I forget it.

Do you make toast with a pop-up toaster or a toaster oven (if you have one)? I do not.

If 'yes', why?

Old 12-03-2018, 06:41 PM   #2
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

I have both, but the toaster hangs out in the pantry now. The toaster oven is just more versatile, even though the toaster is a bit quicker. Until about a year ago I had never owned a toaster oven, it comes in quite handy sometimes.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 06:46 PM   #3
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Just had a thought and decided to write it down before I forget it.

Do you make toast with a pop-up toaster or a toaster oven (if you have one)? I do not.

If 'yes', why?
I didn't replace my toaster when we moved from Cali..
I used the big oven until I bought a toaster oven recently..
The oven was ok but, I, frequently like a slice of toast as a snack so, the main oven was a bit of a pain to use for 1 or 2 slices..

I found that the toaster oven toasts bread and bagels, etc., better than the last few pop up toasters I've had..
Ross
Old 12-03-2018, 06:47 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

I prefer toast in a toaster but because of limited space I gave it up for a multi use toaster oven. I'm glad to have the toaster oven, but I wish I had room for both.
I always toast my bread for a sandwich.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 07:05 PM   #5
Master Chef

I use both. I like how the bread comes out flatter and more evenly toasted in the TO, but as mentioned it requires more attention. For breakfast in the morning with my scrambled eggs I just pop a slice of bread in the toaster.

If I'm making a BLT or a nice slice of garlic French bread with steak for a dinner, I use the TO. LOL
Old 12-03-2018, 07:18 PM   #6
Master Chef

I have both and prefer the toaster oven for making toast or toasting English muffins.

The TO gives me a crisper crunchier finished product and a little char around the edges.

I also use the TO for frozen pizza slices, hash brown patties and for toasted cheese sandwiches. I put them directly on the rack they get a nice crunch without any extra oil.

My toaster is a good candidate for the local thrift shop.
Aunt Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 07:31 PM   #7
Executive Chef

My wife uses the pop up toaster almost daily. She is a gadget person, and not much of a cook. so anything that does the work for her that requires little attention is right up her alley. I tried it a few times, and it seams that it doesn't toast as evenly as just tossing it in the oven. One side is always darker than the other, and even each individual side isn't toasted evenly. That being said, I think we have a cheap pop up toaster. I would assume a better brand would likely do a better job. My wife doesn't mind , and I don't use it, so no intentions of investing in the near future.

We had a toaster oven ( actually a really good one), but just takes up too much counter space. I just toss the bread in the oven, right on the rack. Needs a little attention ( and Im sure I've burned one or two while being distracted ( phone calls, something else on the burner ...). But, that's my go to .
larry_stewart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 07:59 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Haven't had a toaster in years. Our toaster oven does a fantastic job of making toast, especially when 4 or 8 pieces are needed.
Old 12-03-2018, 08:18 PM   #9
Executive Chef

I don't have a toaster-oven. They take up too much counter space in my moderate-size kitchen. Besides, they are redundant to my built-in oven. I have a two slice DeLonghi toaster for toasting bread, buns, bagels and such.

CD
Old 12-03-2018, 08:37 PM   #10
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
I prefer toast in a toaster...
Just curious, Kayelle, what do you prefer about a toaster for toast?

Also, everyone. Have you tried to make toast in a frying pan?

I have a small kitchen and prefer the TO as it does a lot more than make toast and I don't feel I need both.

« Naan bread | - »