Sprouted wheat bread and gluten?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jawnn

Senior Cook

After a life time of trying to make bread without white flour I think I finally get it, adding gluten to anything will work.
I am still trying to figure out the best way to pulverize sprouted wheat, a meat grinder my get clogged up and certainly make a mess to clean and dry fast or rust.
I am not sure, but I think making a wet dough, set over night, helps develop gluten? And sorghum flour will eliminate the need for sweeteners.
I just want to know if sprouting wheat will destroy or help the gluten?
So the nest day after letting the sponge sit over night, (with a lot of gluten), I kneaded in enough rye flour to not be too wet. But I think the ground up sprouts hold moisture too much.
Maybe I should dry the sprouts in the oven before grinding them, and not add any other sweetener?
Surly some has experience in this?

No experience, but I put your question into Google and sprouting does destroy the gluten, but not all of it. If you are celiac, sprouting does not help there is still enough gluten to make you flare.

If just cutting down on gluten, then sprouting is a good option.

I am not allergic to gluten. I need more of it to make bread.

Make your dough without the sprouted wheat. When it is the correct consistancy, add kneed in the sprouted wheat. I would chop it coarsely and add it as I would add sunflower seeds, or wheat berries, enough to give added texture and nutrition, but not as a main ingredient. It has become a veggie, like beans sprouts, and no longer contains the starches or protiens to make into flour.

If you want more of the ingredient, dry it as you would spinach leaves, then pulverize it in you food processor, or blender, and add it to your dough. Remember, the bulk of the dough must be made from flour that contains the gluten, be it whole wheat, or whatever, and the at least 2/3rds of that flour must be wheat flour.

Hope that helps.

Seeeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom