Steak House Dark Breads

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fisher's Mom

Executive Chef
I have gotten pretty good with white flour yeast breads and rolls and my family was thrilled. Now, they aren't on my diet. I've been eating the Pepperidge Farms Oat Nut bread and it's good - no complaints. But I'd really like to do is bake some whole grain breads I can. I've never made wheat bread. I just ordered from King Arthur lots of whole wheat flour, multi-grain flour, and flax seeds and it should be here soon.

Here's something I've been craving: those lovely, dark, soft, kinda sweet tasting loaves of bread they often serve hot in steak houses on a little wooden cutting board? I have no idea what this kind of bread is called. It's not pumpernickel, I don't think, because it's so much sweeter and softer in texture. But it is almost as dark. Do any of you know of something close? Maybe even have a recipe? I would be eternally grateful.

I actually bought some organic wheat flour from Whole Foods to make bread with. I just used it in a regular recipe instead of white flour and it turned out great. Makes me feel like getting just a bit bolder maybe... LOL.
I love the brown breads as well, so thanks for the links! Maybe I can get bold enough to try making one of them.

FM - I am sorry for not posting the link, I am working off my handheld, but, In thr bread area, I have 10 grain bread recipie that I adapted from a whole wheat one. I am fond of it.

Thanks so much, LadyCook! The Sweet Brown Bread recipe looks like it might be exactly what I've been dreaming about. When my flour gets here, I will make some and post back here. I'm really excited!!!

Thanks so much, LadyCook! The Sweet Brown Bread recipe looks like it might be exactly what I've been dreaming about. When my flour gets here, I will make some and post back here. I'm really excited!!!

You're welcome ! Hope it turns out well for you. ;)

I've made Boston brown bread steamed in coffee cans. Good, but really not any better than the stuff you buy from the store in cans.

If you can't buy the canned bread, then the posted recipes look a LOT easier than the recipe I used! :)

Lee

Last edited:
sqwaw bread?

Is sqwaw bread (spelling??) the same as boston brown bread? I know it is a sweet brown bread like they have in steak houses. I believe it is made with malassas....very yummy, but I rarely see it in the stores.
From the pic I just saw of the brown bread recipe, sqwaw bread looks alot lighter in texture. The boston bread looks like a banana bread texture where the sqwaw bread has a texture of like white bread.
I'll see if I can find a recipe for it...

Last edited:
you can only post recipes if you have posted at least 20x's here....strange:( well I had a Squaw bread recipe for you but I guess I can't give it....I'm not alowed! sheesh...

I don't know if this is what you're looking for, we love this bread at Outback Steakhouse.

Honey Wheat Bushman Bread

3 packets dry yeast
1-1/2 cups warm water, divided
1 T. sugar
1/2 cup dark molasses
1 T. salt
2 T. vegetable oil
2 cups rye flour
2-1/2 to 3 cups all-purpose flour

Dissolve yeast in 1/2 cup warm water, stir in sugar, let stand 6 minutes or until bubbly.
Combine dissolved yeast, l cup warm water, molasses, salt, oil and rye flour in large bowl;beat until smooth.
Work in all-purpose flour until dough is pliable and elastic, not sticky.
Knead for 4 minutes.
Place dough in large bowl, cover with damp cloth and let rise in warm place until doubled.
Punch down dough.
Divide and shape into whatever sizes you'd like. You could make 2 large round loaves or 5 mini loaves.
Place on greased and cornmeal dusted cookie sheet or loaf pans.
Cover with damp cloth and rise to double in size.
Bake at 375 for 30 minutes or until crust makes hollow sound when tapped on.

Barb

It sounds delish Barb, I already coppied it to try it sometime! Just wondering though why is it called Honey Wheat if there is no honey in it...?
Thanks for the great recipe!

Perfect timing, I just picked up some molasses at the store today as I wanted to try some of these recipes. So, we have sweet brown bread, can brown bread, Boston bread, Squaw bread, and Honey Wheat Bushman bread? Did I miss any? LOL.

Dee, if you want you can always PM the link to the recipe to me and I can post it here for you. You can post recipes only if they are not copyright protected, if they are they will be removed. You can only post web links after 20 posts, it cuts down on spam activity here.

Private Message. If you click on my nickname "Maverick2272" one of the options is send Private Message to Maverick2272. Just click on that and send me the link and I can post it here for ya.

Came out good

Thanks for the link. My DH loves Boston Brown Bread - I've never made it - only bought the canned in the store. I'll let you know how it comes out.
The bread came out quite good. Slightly crisp on the outside, moist inside.

You might want to check out Peter Reinhart's Whole Grain Breads. Seems whole wheat acts better when a poolish is used.
To my taste at least, whole wheat flour can also be used to make pretty good crullers.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom