"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Yeast Breads, Rolls & Braids

Old 07-05-2008, 06:15 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Steak House Dark Breads

I have gotten pretty good with white flour yeast breads and rolls and my family was thrilled. Now, they aren't on my diet. I've been eating the Pepperidge Farms Oat Nut bread and it's good - no complaints. But I'd really like to do is bake some whole grain breads I can. I've never made wheat bread. I just ordered from King Arthur lots of whole wheat flour, multi-grain flour, and flax seeds and it should be here soon.

Here's something I've been craving: those lovely, dark, soft, kinda sweet tasting loaves of bread they often serve hot in steak houses on a little wooden cutting board? I have no idea what this kind of bread is called. It's not pumpernickel, I don't think, because it's so much sweeter and softer in texture. But it is almost as dark. Do any of you know of something close? Maybe even have a recipe? I would be eternally grateful.

Old 07-05-2008, 07:06 PM   #2
Master Chef

Sweet Brown Bread Recipe

Boston Brown Bread Recipe

Old 07-05-2008, 07:38 PM   #3
Master Chef

I actually bought some organic wheat flour from Whole Foods to make bread with. I just used it in a regular recipe instead of white flour and it turned out great. Makes me feel like getting just a bit bolder maybe... LOL.
I love the brown breads as well, so thanks for the links! Maybe I can get bold enough to try making one of them.
Old 07-05-2008, 07:55 PM   #4
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to Adillo303
FM - I am sorry for not posting the link, I am working off my handheld, but, In thr bread area, I have 10 grain bread recipie that I adapted from a whole wheat one. I am fond of it.
Old 07-05-2008, 10:20 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyCook61 View Post
i had forgotten how good that sweet brown bread was. thanks, emailed to myself. when i was growing up we had boston brown bread from a can. i loved it too.

babe
Old 07-05-2008, 10:59 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Thanks so much, LadyCook! The Sweet Brown Bread recipe looks like it might be exactly what I've been dreaming about. When my flour gets here, I will make some and post back here. I'm really excited!!!
Old 07-06-2008, 09:11 AM   #7
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisher's Mom View Post
Thanks so much, LadyCook! The Sweet Brown Bread recipe looks like it might be exactly what I've been dreaming about. When my flour gets here, I will make some and post back here. I'm really excited!!!
You're welcome ! Hope it turns out well for you.
Old 07-06-2008, 12:39 PM   #8
Sous Chef

In the oven now

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyCook61 View Post
Thanks for the link. My DH loves Boston Brown Bread - I've never made it - only bought the canned in the store. I'll let you know how it comes out.
Old 07-06-2008, 01:44 PM   #9
Head Chef

I've made Boston brown bread steamed in coffee cans. Good, but really not any better than the stuff you buy from the store in cans.

If you can't buy the canned bread, then the posted recipes look a LOT easier than the recipe I used!

Lee
Old 07-06-2008, 02:14 PM   #10
Executive Chef

sqwaw bread?

Is sqwaw bread (spelling??) the same as boston brown bread? I know it is a sweet brown bread like they have in steak houses. I believe it is made with malassas....very yummy, but I rarely see it in the stores.
From the pic I just saw of the brown bread recipe, sqwaw bread looks alot lighter in texture. The boston bread looks like a banana bread texture where the sqwaw bread has a texture of like white bread.
I'll see if I can find a recipe for it...