Tasteless Breads I'm Turning out here. Why?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ManedWolf

Assistant Cook
Heyas,
I've done a bunch of breads now that have all followed recipes from different books. A few are a traditional french bread, Potato Bread, Cornbread, Bananna bread, and just a regualr simple bread. I have found the taste of the breads has been somewhat bland. When I pickup breads in the store they seem better seasoned and more flavourful. I'm not sure if there is something that anyone can advise me about that might be a good first step. I don't want to add any new spices or anything that isn't from the original recipes I just want to see if tinkering with the ingredients will help, before I go any further.
I guess what i'm looking for is to know if there is a really simple ingredient, (ie. Salt) that I can add to make a big change at the end. I appreciate any responses and if you need the recipes I've used I can post them as well. Just let me know.

Thanks,
Wolf

Sorry you're having trouble with your breads. Are you following the recipes exactly, especially when it comes to measuring ingredients? Baking is an exact science and attention to correct measurements is critical.

And, yes, salt can definitely "perk" up bread. Be careful, though, because adding too much can make the bread taste bad in the opposite direction.

Can you share a sample recipe of one of the breads you find especially problematic? That would help to diagnose your problem.

That's my take. You'll undoubtedly get many more helps. Just be patient and wait for more answers. Everyone's here to help.

Sample Recipe

This was the bread I felt tasted the worst. It was really dull and I was dissappointed. However i realise it's all going to come with time so I'm not discouraged. Please not all dry ingredients are given in weight measure because I scale things for accuracy. Liquids are given in fluid volume measure.

Potato Bread

~3.25 oz Water @ or about 90F
1 tbsp Yeast
11.4oz Bread Flour
4.5oz Peeled, Cooked, Shredded Potatoes
0.5oz Melted Butter
1oz Cheddar Cheese
0.5 tsp Salt

Standard Bread

24oz Bread Flour
.75oz Yeast
14oz Water
.5oz Salt

Those are 2 of the recipies I've used. I know there arent many spices or anything but I want to develop a method for a good base bread and then start adding more flavours and seeing what happens.
The above recipe yeilds a nice sized loaf of the bread.

ManedWolf said:
This was the bread I felt tasted the worst. It was really dull and I was dissappointed. However i realise it's all going to come with time so I'm not discouraged. Please not all dry ingredients are given in weight measure because I scale things for accuracy. Liquids are given in fluid volume measure.

Potato Bread

~3.25 oz Water @ or about 90F
1 tbsp Yeast
11.4oz Bread Flour
4.5oz Peeled, Cooked, Shredded Potatoes
0.5oz Melted Butter
1oz Cheddar Cheese
0.5 tsp Salt

Standard Bread

24oz Bread Flour
.75oz Yeast
14oz Water
.5oz Salt

Those are 2 of the recipies I've used. I know there arent many spices or anything but I want to develop a method for a good base bread and then start adding more flavours and seeing what happens.
The above recipe yeilds a nice sized loaf of the bread.
From looking at both of your recipes, it looks as though the salt quantity is too low. I, too, cook/bake using a scale.

Your first recipe has just over 2 cups of flour and the second recipe has nearly 5 cups of flour. I think I'd increase the salt in the first one to close to 1 teaspoon. For the other recipe, I'd go closer to 1 tablespoon. Not sure what that equates to in weight as I don't have my chart nearby.

I cup of unsifted flour weighs 5 ounces for those folks who don't use a scale.

See what happens and let us know.

Last edited:
Thanks So Much :)

Thanks,
I kinda thought it might be the salt but I was just nervous changing things too much. I'll take your recommendations and give them a try. I'll make sure to let you know how they turn out.

Salt and the fat help develop the flavor of your bread..I'd say the salt amount would be the culprit..

kadesma:)

Sage, I bake all the bread we eat in our house. That includes hotdog and hamburger buns, pullman bread (sandwich), toasting bread, Italian bread, baguettes, bagels, English muffins, the list goes on. And, I've been baking bread for nearly 40 years. I'm telling you this to give you some idea of my experience.

Having said that, not all breads contain sugar or fats.

I would also definitely recommend a little more salt, as well as some sugar or honey (tablespoon at most). Sugar also acts as a "food" for the yeast, which in my experience can improve the amount your bread actually rises, both during the rising stage and when in the oven. While fats are certainly not necessary, I have always found a few tablespoons of EVOO make things taste a pinch better.

You do need more salt. For sure. Bland bread means not enough salt.

I'd at least double the amount.

Too much salt will inhibit the action of the yeast, but you have to use a lot of it to have this happen.

Agreed on the salt issue and we use honey in all our bread making. We have just begun making our own breads, but will venture into other types of bread as soon as our wheat is delivered.

But you neet some sort of sweetner. That is not to say it will be a sweet bread, but it will eliminate some of that blandness you are tlaking about.

Good luck!

Just remembered...the N.Y. Times bread that many members of this board rave about, myself included, has absolutely no sweetener or fat in it at all. It is awesomely flavorful, which makes my earlier point about some breads containing neither of those two ingredients.

For those of you who are unfamiliar, check this thread out: http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f23/ny-times-bread-recipe-what-fun-28893.html?highlight=York+Times+bread.

It does have ample salt...1 1/4 teaspoons salt to 3 cups flour. I use 1 1/2 teaspoons salt because I thought it needed some more salt zip.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom