"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Yeast Breads, Rolls & Braids

Old 03-05-2007, 06:05 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Send a message via ICQ to ManedWolf Send a message via MSN to ManedWolf Send a message via Yahoo to ManedWolf
Tasteless Breads I'm Turning out here. Why?

Heyas,
I've done a bunch of breads now that have all followed recipes from different books. A few are a traditional french bread, Potato Bread, Cornbread, Bananna bread, and just a regualr simple bread. I have found the taste of the breads has been somewhat bland. When I pickup breads in the store they seem better seasoned and more flavourful. I'm not sure if there is something that anyone can advise me about that might be a good first step. I don't want to add any new spices or anything that isn't from the original recipes I just want to see if tinkering with the ingredients will help, before I go any further.
I guess what i'm looking for is to know if there is a really simple ingredient, (ie. Salt) that I can add to make a big change at the end. I appreciate any responses and if you need the recipes I've used I can post them as well. Just let me know.

Thanks,
Wolf

Old 03-05-2007, 06:10 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Sorry you're having trouble with your breads. Are you following the recipes exactly, especially when it comes to measuring ingredients? Baking is an exact science and attention to correct measurements is critical.

And, yes, salt can definitely "perk" up bread. Be careful, though, because adding too much can make the bread taste bad in the opposite direction.

Can you share a sample recipe of one of the breads you find especially problematic? That would help to diagnose your problem.

That's my take. You'll undoubtedly get many more helps. Just be patient and wait for more answers. Everyone's here to help.

Old 03-05-2007, 06:27 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

Send a message via ICQ to ManedWolf Send a message via MSN to ManedWolf Send a message via Yahoo to ManedWolf
Sample Recipe

This was the bread I felt tasted the worst. It was really dull and I was dissappointed. However i realise it's all going to come with time so I'm not discouraged. Please not all dry ingredients are given in weight measure because I scale things for accuracy. Liquids are given in fluid volume measure.

Potato Bread

~3.25 oz Water @ or about 90F
1 tbsp Yeast
11.4oz Bread Flour
4.5oz Peeled, Cooked, Shredded Potatoes
0.5oz Melted Butter
1oz Cheddar Cheese
0.5 tsp Salt

Standard Bread

24oz Bread Flour
.75oz Yeast
14oz Water
.5oz Salt

Those are 2 of the recipies I've used. I know there arent many spices or anything but I want to develop a method for a good base bread and then start adding more flavours and seeing what happens.
The above recipe yeilds a nice sized loaf of the bread.
Old 03-05-2007, 06:34 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManedWolf
This was the bread I felt tasted the worst. It was really dull and I was dissappointed. However i realise it's all going to come with time so I'm not discouraged. Please not all dry ingredients are given in weight measure because I scale things for accuracy. Liquids are given in fluid volume measure.

Potato Bread

~3.25 oz Water @ or about 90F
1 tbsp Yeast
11.4oz Bread Flour
4.5oz Peeled, Cooked, Shredded Potatoes
0.5oz Melted Butter
1oz Cheddar Cheese
0.5 tsp Salt

Standard Bread

24oz Bread Flour
.75oz Yeast
14oz Water
.5oz Salt

Those are 2 of the recipies I've used. I know there arent many spices or anything but I want to develop a method for a good base bread and then start adding more flavours and seeing what happens.
The above recipe yeilds a nice sized loaf of the bread.
From looking at both of your recipes, it looks as though the salt quantity is too low. I, too, cook/bake using a scale.

Your first recipe has just over 2 cups of flour and the second recipe has nearly 5 cups of flour. I think I'd increase the salt in the first one to close to 1 teaspoon. For the other recipe, I'd go closer to 1 tablespoon. Not sure what that equates to in weight as I don't have my chart nearby.

I cup of unsifted flour weighs 5 ounces for those folks who don't use a scale.

See what happens and let us know.
Old 03-05-2007, 06:36 PM   #5
Assistant Cook

Thanks So Much :)

Thanks,
I kinda thought it might be the salt but I was just nervous changing things too much. I'll take your recommendations and give them a try. I'll make sure to let you know how they turn out.
Old 03-05-2007, 08:15 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Salt and the fat help develop the flavor of your bread..I'd say the salt amount would be the culprit..

kadesma
Old 03-06-2007, 07:51 AM   #7
Cook

Send a message via MSN to Sage
I find it strange that these recipes do no have any sugar.Most of my bread recipes have either sugar, honey or barley malt.
Old 03-06-2007, 09:33 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Sage, I bake all the bread we eat in our house. That includes hotdog and hamburger buns, pullman bread (sandwich), toasting bread, Italian bread, baguettes, bagels, English muffins, the list goes on. And, I've been baking bread for nearly 40 years. I'm telling you this to give you some idea of my experience.

Having said that, not all breads contain sugar or fats.
Old 03-06-2007, 01:03 PM   #9
Senior Cook

I would also definitely recommend a little more salt, as well as some sugar or honey (tablespoon at most). Sugar also acts as a "food" for the yeast, which in my experience can improve the amount your bread actually rises, both during the rising stage and when in the oven. While fats are certainly not necessary, I have always found a few tablespoons of EVOO make things taste a pinch better.
Old 03-06-2007, 02:11 PM   #10
Master Chef

You do need more salt. For sure. Bland bread means not enough salt.

I'd at least double the amount.

Too much salt will inhibit the action of the yeast, but you have to use a lot of it to have this happen.