The Elvis Sandwich & Home Made Mayo

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Margi Cintrano

Washing Up
Good Evening Ladies and Gents,

Many years ago when I was living in South Miami Beach, I had met a woman who was opening a small restaurant with an Elvis theme. She travelled through Tennessee and Mississippi researching all the dishes she had planned to serve at her once popular bistro type restaurant.

Here is the Elvis Sandwich which my twin grandsons always ask me to make when I visit or they visit.

ELVIS SANDWICH

turkey bacon ( optional ): 8 thick slices
8 thick slices of country style bread 5 x 3 x 1/2 "
4 tblsps home made mayonnaise ( see recipe below )
2 just ripe tender bananas
Chunky Nutty Peanut Butter
8 ounces of Swiss Gruyère Cheese or Italian Fontina or Dutch Gouda

1. sauté the bacon of choice or pancetta over medium heat until brown and crisp
2. transfer the bacon to paper towels and drain
3. wash and dry skillet
4. place 4 bread slices on work surface
5. press 1/4 cup grated cheese of choice onto each slice of bread (4)
6. top each with finely sliced banana
7. then, two slices of crisp bacon
8. press 1/ cup cheese grated over the bacon, if not using, over the banana
9. butter 1 slice of bread thickly with peanut butter chunky style
10. then, top sandwich with the other remaining slice of bread
11. spread Home made Mayonnaise over the top of slices for goldening during the grilling
12. heavy heavey skillet: over medium heat and add 2 sandwiches at a time and on mayo side down, place a plate atop for weight and golden on each side 2 minutes
13. spread the mayo on opposite side ( 1/2 tsp ) repeat process
14. sauté 2 mins and plate over to golden
15. slice on diagonal and serve with fries of potato chips or a salad

*** HOME MADE MAYONNAISE

2 yolks
16 fl. oz. Evoo
1 tblsp lemon juice

1) beat the yolks and gradually add the Evoo very very slowly
2) do not rush, as soon as it begins to become a mayo type substance, whisk until consistency of mayo forms

Have a lovely Sunday. :)
Enjoy,
M.Cintrano.

Your Grandsons are Brilliant, or Grandmom Shines for making these sandwiches for them. A real treat! I wonder if Elvis ate his sandwich with a Grape Nehi ( carbonated grape flavor soft drink popular down south) or just coke ( Small letter c, not a Capital C which is inclusive for all soft drinks):cool:.

Whisk, regarding the "coke" thing I think you had better duck and run before the Coca Cola trademark™ enforcement lawyers get on your case! ;) :D

Margi, that's quite some sandwich!!! I think you forgot the avocado though... ;)

I might go for a half an Elvis Sandwich. :)

Lynda: 1/2 sandwich & 1 slice bread

;) Good Morning Lynda,

Firstly, I know what you mean, and mine is very low and so is my blood pressure.

However, this is a once in a blue moon sandwich !

Use turkey bacon or turkey ham ... low fat cheese is alternative ... anfd Health Food Store Peanut Butter, which is actually good for high cholestral. I use sugar free.

ENJOY being a grown up kid !

Have nice Monday.

Margi.

Good Morning Whiskadoodle,

Thanks for your wonderful feedback ... Yes, The Twins, Fillippo and Christophe are truly brilliant uplifting, social, cool kids, for age 5 1/2.

I do recall a Grape carbonated soda, as well as of course coca cola, cream, rootbeer and some others, all in greenish depression glass bottles !

Cute place I have to say ... Enjoy the sandwich ...

Thanks again for feedback.
Margi

Good Morning Gourmet Greg,

Thanks much for your feedback.

Why not Avocado ? Can be interesting addition ...

The original recipe is from Memphis, Tennessee and perhaps, avocado is not really available locally there, at least during the very late 1980s !

It is also very nice with pancetta however, very high in fat grams and kalories !

I try to do it as mentioned to Lynda for me ... Dennis the Menace and the Little Rascal Spanky are so active, and slim, they can handle the Elvis way.

Enjoy it ... it is alot of fun to be a grown up kid !

Kind regards.
Margi.

Wow Margi! Sounds like a little piece of heaven! I think we should all enjoy one... As long as we all get up after and do the "Elvis" keester shake after! Great sandwich followed by a little Booty shakin exercise!:LOL:

Your Grandsons are Brilliant, or Grandmom Shines for making these sandwiches for them. A real treat! I wonder if Elvis ate his sandwich with a Grape Nehi ( carbonated grape flavor soft drink popular down south) or just coke ( Small letter c, not a Capital C which is inclusive for all soft drinks):cool:.

I always thought it was Royal Crown Cola. Can't find Coke in too many places in Texas and can't find anything but Coca Cola in Atlanta. In Texas, they used Coke to clean auto engines. :ohmy:

Mattsgirl,

This is truly a fun fun sandwich to share with a friend, a child or two and / or the special beau ... Have fun with it ... and certainly, one can change cheese, for example Monterrey Jack ( we do not have this cheese in Spain or Italia ) or use ham, Proscuitto di Parma, instead of bacon or pancetta ... and even sub another fruit, besides banana ... a pear, or apple ...

Thanks for feedback.
Margi.

Addie,

Thanks for your feedback.

I really do not know whether Elvis drank Royal Crown Cola or Coca Cola; however, none the less, this recipe was given to me by the Mom of a Restuarateur, and thus, I made it one day for Fily and Chris and they loved it ... They are my younger daughter´s twin five and a half year old Dennis the Menaces !!

I do recall the Elvis memorablia bistro on South Miami Beach.

Perhaps, Member Siegal would recall it ! She lives on M.B. and owns a Bagel Boutique further north, on Collins and 65th Street, and this was located between 9th and 10th on Washington Ave, South Miami Beach.

Have nice Monday.
Margi.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom