Good Evening Ladies and Gents,
Many years ago when I was living in South Miami Beach, I had met a woman who was opening a small restaurant with an Elvis theme. She travelled through Tennessee and Mississippi researching all the dishes she had planned to serve at her once popular bistro type restaurant.
Here is the Elvis Sandwich which my twin grandsons always ask me to make when I visit or they visit.
turkey bacon ( optional ): 8 thick slices
8 thick slices of country style bread 5 x 3 x 1/2 "
4 tblsps home made mayonnaise ( see recipe below )
2 just ripe tender bananas
Chunky Nutty Peanut Butter
8 ounces of Swiss Gruyère Cheese or Italian Fontina or Dutch Gouda
1. sauté the bacon of choice or pancetta over medium heat until brown and crisp
2. transfer the bacon to paper towels and drain
3. wash and dry skillet
4. place 4 bread slices on work surface
5. press 1/4 cup grated cheese of choice onto each slice of bread (4)
6. top each with finely sliced banana
7. then, two slices of crisp bacon
8. press 1/ cup cheese grated over the bacon, if not using, over the banana
9. butter 1 slice of bread thickly with peanut butter chunky style
10. then, top sandwich with the other remaining slice of bread
11. spread Home made Mayonnaise over the top of slices for goldening during the grilling
12. heavy heavey skillet: over medium heat and add 2 sandwiches at a time and on mayo side down, place a plate atop for weight and golden on each side 2 minutes
13. spread the mayo on opposite side ( 1/2 tsp ) repeat process
14. sauté 2 mins and plate over to golden
15. slice on diagonal and serve with fries of potato chips or a salad
*** HOME MADE MAYONNAISE
16 fl. oz. Evoo
1 tblsp lemon juice
1) beat the yolks and gradually add the Evoo very very slowly
2) do not rush, as soon as it begins to become a mayo type substance, whisk until consistency of mayo forms
Have a lovely Sunday.